[Warning: This is a more detailed post than my usual. Cory said I'm "taking up too much space on the World Wide Web."]
It's been a nice weekend but a hot one with highs at 106 yesterday and 108 today. We stayed cool by swimming yesterday afternoon. Then we ordered a Papa John's pizza for dinner, an extravagance for us. Don't worry, we had a coupon so it only cost $1 more than a Little Caesar's. Yes, we're still living like students. While I waited for our order I stopped by Safeway to get a couple items that are featured in this week's ad. Cory requested root beer to go with our pizza. Brady wanted to try some root beer, but I told him to drink his cup of milk first. I realized after I promised him this that he'd never before had soda, or any carbonated beverage. Without sounding all hoity toity, I'll just say that we normally don't have soda in our house. I'm a big fan of good ole H2O. When we go out, Cory usually likes some lemonade concoction. Therefore, I was not at all surprised, although I was amused, by Brady's reaction to the root beer. He took one sip and pushed the cup away. "I don't like that." Poor kid, he'd finished all his milk in anticipation and then he felt punished! His reaction seemed similar to mine, maybe not as extreme, when my dad found an unopened can of Near Beer in the canyon one time and had all of us kids try it. Maybe he was trying to scare us into not drinking, and if that was his intention, I guess it worked. That stuff was absolutely disgusting! Anyway, I am pleased by Brady's adverse reaction to the root beer. Now he knows any drink that fizzes is for adults only.
We gave Brady a haircut yesterday morning. The curls are gone, but now I won't have to use a water bottle just to manage my son's crazy hair.
Rocklin had a free fair/concert/fireworks show last night at a park near our church. The parking was crazy at the park so we just set up our chairs and blanket on the grass by the church. Brady stayed entertained until it got dark by kicking his soccer ball around and impressing a nearby 7-year-old by showing him his drop kick. We didn't have any licorice, which is what I always like to eat while watching fireworks (you Utahns know, that big family bag of Red Vines that has black and red in all shapes and sizes). Anyway, for the occasion I went all out and bought some of those Mother's Circus Animal cookies. Okay, they've got to be so unhealthy, and that pink and white "frosting" is probably more like wax. Too bad I love them so much! Finally the fireworks started at 9:30 and poor Brady shook with fright. He scrambled over to my lap and buried his head in me until I covered his ears with my hands and forced him to look. Finally he relaxed and actually smiled, and Cory and I agreed that it was one of the best finales we've ever seen. That was good practice for next weekend, so now we know what Brady requires during a fireworks show. You can bet he won't let me forget the circus cookies!
I usually have pretty odd dreams, and some even more strange during pregnancy. Last night was no exception. Joel and Melanie are expecting their baby this week, and they don't know the gender. I dreamed that they had a boy, and since they liked the name Alyssa so much, they went ahead and named him that. I may have raised an eyebrow when I found out his name, but of course I kept my opinion to myself as to not hurt their feelings. But now I'm really hoping they have a girl since both of Cory's sisters due within weeks of me are having boys.
Some kids wake up around the same time no matter when they went to bed the night before. Thankfully Brady is not that kid. He slept until 9:00 this morning, allowing me to get my fill of sleep. Today marks five months into my pregnancy. With four months to go I am not counting down. I love being pregnant and I think a big belly suits me. I guess part of my love of pregnancy comes from the fact that I can finally justify my big middle. It also doesn't hurt that I haven't been sick, and that I enjoy all the extra concern and attention that comes my way.
Just to add to this fun weekend, Cory decided to play a card game with me called Idiot while Brady took his nap today. He was leaning back on his chair, and if that wall wasn't there he would have hit the floor. Just remembering him scrambling to catch his balance has me laughing all over again! Oh, good times.


5 comments:
Riley has the same reaction to soda - "I don't like that" or "that's spicy" She always wants to try what I'm drinking though. Her face is always awesome, like her mouth just got shocked
I'm so glad you took a photo today. You looked so beautiful at church, I couldn't decide if it was your cute hair or the purple was just your color!!! Hope it cools down soon!!
So funny. Cyrena just had soda about 3 months ago when she had a tummy ache and now she wants it all the time. It took her a few tries to like it though. We never have it either and she wishes we did!
You look beautiful and I've always thought you look so great in purple. I loved the pregnant belly because my rolls disappeared, it was all nice and smooth! :)
Those animal circus cookies are my favorite too!
You look so good!
Post a Comment