Saturday, March 26, 2011

Project: Read

There are a couple books I want to read, but I have not been motivated to read much lately. In my free time, I find myself at the computer or watching TV. I have been working on Long Walk to Freedom, the autobiography of Nelson Mandela, since before Christmas.
I considered quitting since it's 675 pages and I was only on page 72 last week. But I decided to set a goal of a 5 page minimum per day, and I would have it read by the time my book club discusses it in August.
Then I realized my book club is reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton for April, and I'll finally be able to attend this time. The only available copy at the library was the large print, so this book is 738 pages. What's the point of going to book club if you haven't finished the book? You can't prevent everyone from discussing the ending, and it's going to be spoiled for you. So either I finish it before next Tuesday, 10 days from now, or I don't. My goal is 60 (large print) pages a day since I got it on Thursday. I'm also reading my scriptures, so this leaves little time for TV or Internet.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

you can totally do it! The forgotten garden is hard to get into at first...it's very wordy so you can skim over some things. But you'll definitely want to read it all before you hear everyone talking about it. It's taking me a lot longer to get through books these days since I'm more tired at bedtime and only get a about 20 minutes in.

Wrights said...

The Forgotten Garden was our book last month. It's long but it's a page turner and I finished in about ten days. One girl actually read it within 24 hours because she couldn't put it down.