We have another nephew on my side of the family. My sister Leesa had a boy on January 29.

Joshua was born with a small hole in his lung. It repaired itself after a week in the NICU, but his extended hospital stay meant he forgot how to breastfeed. Leesa has really impressed me with her determination to keep him supplied in breast milk. He was 8 lb. 7 oz. at birth and the kid hasn't stopped eating. He is almost 8 weeks old and still eats 8 times a day, 6 or 7 ounces a feeding! Even after Leesa's pump stopped pumping on one side, she didn't give up and spent 30 minutes rather than 15 pumping each feeding. I believe she's purchased a hospital-grade breast pump now, and her goal is to keep pumping until he is 9 months old.

Joshua is not yet sleeping through the night, and his parents are just now starting to take him out because they were concerned about him contracting RSV. It's been a long road, and I'm very impressed with their positive attitude. Thank goodness newborns are so sweet, because otherwise you'd wonder if it was worth it!
3 comments:
oh he's super cute, congrats to Leesa!
Congratulations to Leesa! And holy moly to her dertimination to breastfeed. I would have taken that excuse and been done. Good for her!
Thanks for the nice post, Jess! Luckily Josh is sleeping through the night now, which unfortunately means he doesn't really sleep in the day. But oh well, I'll take what I can get. Some day we will have Internet at our house and I'll blog again.
Post a Comment