Scot, my brother-in-law, just sent me this link to a site called Stuff White People Like (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/).
He got to #99 on the list, which is grammar, and said he thought of me. I have to laugh because I am definitely guilty of most of these things. Here is a portion of the text from the site about grammar:
Without a doubt, the rule system that white people love the most is grammar. It is in their blood not only to use perfect grammar but also to spend significant portions of time pointing out the errors of others.
When asking someone about their biggest annoyances in life, you might expect responses like “hunger,” “being poor,” or “getting shot.” If you ask a white person, the most common response will likely be “people who use ‘their’ when they mean ‘there.’
Another important thing to know is that when white people read magazines and books they are always looking for grammar and spelling mistakes. In fact, one of the greatest joys a white person can experience is to catch a grammar mistake in a major publication. Finding one allows a white person to believe that they are better than the writer and the publication since they would have caught the mistake.
Though they reserve the harshest judgment for professional, do not assume that white people will cast a blind eye to your grammar mistakes in email and official documents. They will judge you and make a general assessment about your intelligence after the first infraction. Fortunately, this situation can be improved if you ask a white person to proof read your work before you send it out. “Hey Jill, I’m sorry to do this, but I have a business degree and I’m a terrible writer. Can you look this over for me?” This deft maneuver will allow the white person to feel as though their liberal arts degree has a purpose and allow you to do something more interesting.
Don’t worry, it is impossible for a white person to turn down the opportunity to proofread.
I do, in fact, amuse myself when I find a typo in a novel. I just figure the editors are in more of a hurry than I am, and I tend to read word for word.
I also correct people (in my head) when they use improper grammar. I am no Ross on Friends.
I have offered to proofread many things for people. That last statement is true of me; it is impossible for me to turn down the opportunity to proofread.
Finally, the use of proper grammar most definitely indicates a person's level of intelligence.
1 comment:
That is pretty funny...although I don't usually correct people when they are speaking (at least I don't think I do...), I am totally the same when reading. And let me just be the first to say that I took 2nd place in a Regional BPA (Business Professionals of America) proofreading contest when I was in High School. I guess I might be in the grammar snob pool right along with you :)!
Post a Comment