Sunday, September 30, 2012

First Two Weeks

Once my babies are two weeks old, which Colin will be tomorrow, I feel like I've hit a milestone.  The physical recovery is never fun, but I'm getting there.  Initially I hurt in five places and now it's down to two.  I'm hoping by next week those two will have recovered and I'll only be lacking some sleep (and all my free time, of course!).  I've been walking the neighborhood with the kids, but after this weekend I think I'll start back on the elliptical with just a warm-up-level workout for 10 minutes.  Probably the worst part will be putting on a sports bra.
I was able to fit into a pair of jeans the other day, but I've got to do some major work on this muffin top.  Today I've started counting calories, but I don't know how diligent I'll be.  I need to though because my weight loss has stopped faster than I was hoping/expecting.  I guess dessert every night is a thing of the past for me.  But hey, I lived it up while I could!

As for Colin's progress, I'll find out his measurements at his appointment Monday.  He seems to be thriving though.  He is down to 6 feedings a day now.  Since he's a bigger baby he's able to go 3 1/2 to 4 hours from one feeding to the next.  And get this: at night he's only waking up once to eat!  Yes, that started when he was just 8 days old!  For instance, I fed him at 8:15 last night and he didn't wake up to eat again until 4:20, and again at 8am.  So I ended up with a 6-hour block of straight sleep not even two weeks postpartum   Now don't go thinking my life is perfect.  I do have a 5-year-old with a major attitude problem, and a 2-year-old who still can't make it to the toilet on her own, but my baby is an absolute angel!  He even takes a bottle from me (not that I prefer that, but it's nice when Cory's busy putting the other two to bed.)




My mom was here for the last week, allowing me some much-needed adult conversation.  She was also great at giving B&B more attention than I could offer.  I don't know how many of Brooke's poop messes she cleaned up, but she also did a bit of cleaning around the house as well, and she allowed me to take lots of naps.  Cory's been working all day today, and by some miracle my kids have been well-behaved.  But she is definitely missed, and I'm sure I'll find myself wishing she were here as soon as SOMEONE comes home from school this afternoon.


5 comments:

Rachel B. said...

That last picture of the kids is dang CUTE! I'm so glad he's sleeping so well. How awesome is that?! Sounds like your overall transition to 3 is going better than mine did. :)

Ann said...

He looks wonderful! I'm dying to come see him once we all get over this dang cough!! Love you!

The Ortega Family said...

You are so lucky your kids sleep well! Be careful about working out to soon, you may want to get the ok first from your ob. I was told not to work out until I was a month postpartum.

The Mattinson's said...

Oh so cute! It looks like he fits in well.

Liesel said...

Jessica, you are only a few weeks post-partum! Don't worry about your weigh, calories or exercise right now sweetie! Just take care of yourself and that little one!

I know this is your third kid so I'm not trying to be annoying, but usually they say not to work out for 4-6 weeks. You need to heal and that might make you bleed more (again).