Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Colin Story

Last outing as a family of four - Sept. 10
I was a day past my due date last Wednesday when the nurse midwife told me I was dilated to a 1.5 and he was still pretty high.  Because of my c-section I cannot be induced until 41 weeks.  I knew that going into this pregnancy, but I also hoped I would go into labor on my own again like I did with Brooke.  That's why Cory took the time off work that he did.  He has to go back tomorrow, so today would have been my induction/c-section.  I expressed my concerns to the nurse and she passed them along to my OB.
On Thursday the nurse called to say my OB said she would start my induction Friday night.  She reminded me of the risks of inducing a VBAC, and told me I would start off with a foley bulb to dilate my cervix.
Cory and I went in Friday night at 6:00 and the doctor placed the foley bulb in my cervix.  It's hard to describe, but basically it's a water-filled ball on both sides which puts pressure on my cervix.  It didn't really hurt, it was just kind of weird feeling it move around when Colin moved.
The doctor hoped I'd be dilated to a 3 in the morning, so when she checked me at 6am and I was at a 5, I really got my hopes up.  Things really sped up after that, and here's my best guess at the timeline:
7:30 - antibiotics started (Strep B positive)
8:30 - contractions got stronger
9:00 - anesthesiologist administered epidural
I pushed the epidural button every 15 minutes as it was only taking effect on my left side.  The nurse told me to lay on my right side to allow gravity to help.  I didn't get off my right side for more than 3 1/2 hours.  The anesthesiologist was in a c-section and couldn't come back for a while.
11:00 - Finally he returned and adjusted the catheter toward the right side, but it didn't help.  By this time the contractions were increasing in intensity and came every 4-5 minutes.
12:00 - I was dilated to a 6 and 70% effaced.  My water broke on its own.  The nurse had been waiting for the epidural to kick in before having the doctor break my water.  She knew I'd be in a lot of pain otherwise. Right after my water broke, even as the nurse was getting towels to clean it up, I had an unbearably painful back spasm that lasted at least a minute.  I know because I was counting the seconds and trying to take deep breaths.  I can't think of anything more painful, and the thoughts running through my head made it worse.  I wondered if he was sunny side up and they'd try to turn him.  With the epidural not kicking in I was going wild with fear that I'd have to feel the doctor try to turn him, or that I'd go in for an emergency c-section.
12:15 - The anesthesiologist returned to give me a second epidural.  I regretted thanking him for the first one.  I was in so much pain at that point, and had to breath through a contraction while he gave me another needle stick in the back.  Unfortunately I was too far along at this point for the epidural to take affect.
12:20 - I was dilated to an 8, Colin had dropped, and his head was in position.  My contractions were extremely painful and coming about every 2 minutes lasting about 20 seconds each.
12:32 - Contractions were coming hard and fast.  Suddenly my uterus was pushing on its own volition.  I told the doctor I had to push.  I was in denial because I still holding out hope that I'd be numb for this part.  I remember whimpering that I didn't think I could do it.
12:34 - With my next contraction the doctor said to go ahead and push.
12:39pm, Saturday, September 15 - After two incredibly LONG and excruciatingly painful pushes, his head was about out.  I remember moaning, "He's not out yet???"  I mustered up the strength for one more push and out he came.  I felt it all.  I guess I didn't feel contractions on my left side, but when my baby violently tore through my body I felt every bit of it.  "He is huge!" is the first comment I registered from one of the nurses.  I pushed out the placenta and was given Lidocaine for the stitches.  Colin weighed 9 lbs. 5 oz. and measured 21 inches.
If I'd known going into it that my epidural wouldn't work, I'm not sure what I would have done.  I think I would have been more anxious to get him out, rather than holding out for something that wasn't to be.  I've pretty much experienced the full range of childbirth now with a c-section, a vaginal birth with epidural, and a "natural" vaginal birth.  I'd pick door #2 every time.  Sure, my labor with Brooke was 17 hours and Colin's was only about 6 1/2, but I'm a wuss and I've never tried to be one of those women who like to avoid pain killers...for what?  Bragging rights?  Well after pushing out this big boy, I've definitely got bragging rights.
The kids' first time seeing him.
We've seen this face twice before.  Brady's initially puffy eyes, both kids' button nose,
chubby cheeks and pouty lips.


I expected it to be colder when we brought him home yesterday.
3 days old
The kids can't get enough of their baby brother.
I knew Brady would be all over him, but so is Brooke.  She's actually more gentle though.  Brady goes for the hands and Brooke just softly rubs his head.  She likes touching his soft hair. My prayers were answered.  This little guy has definitely brought more love into our home.  Let's just hope it remains as Cory works a 12-hour shift tomorrow and I've got a long night ahead of me.

11 comments:

Jessica said...

Way to go! He's adorable!! I know it's crazy, but all that pain is worth it. :)

The Ortega Family said...

Now the question is, do you want to go through all of that again?? After I had Samantha one of the first words out of my mouth was "We're done!" I think Colin looks so much like you Jess! He is so cute, love the chubs!

Good luck tomorrow!

Rachel B. said...

I got chills reading this...like over and over again. You've reminded me just wonderfully of how delightful labor can be. :) That feeling of "I don't think I can do this" is awful. You are amazing though, and YOU DID IT! He is so darling. I love those Higginbotham eyes! And cheeks! See you tonight!

(In case you're a time noticer...I am up at the booty crack of dawn because I can't fall back asleep after a child woke me up to use the bathroom. Maybe I should just call you as chances are you're awake too. ;)

Reary Family said...

Aww, he is so cute and chubby. That picture of him in his car seat gets me excited. You forget how little and cute they are.

The Mattinson's said...

What a beautiful baby boy. He does look like Brady and Brooke. How great it is that he is here!!!

HeatherM said...

he is so cute! really so darling! But I am so confused as to how he fit in your belly? he is huge!the bigger the baby the happy they are.

Trotts said...

Adorable! Who doesn't love a chubby baby? I so badly want to snuggle with him and kiss those cheeks. Can't wait to see him!

Eaton Family said...

I love the pictures! He is adorable but we already knew he would be because all your kids are so cute! No pregnancy or delivery is ever the same. I'm glad you made it through - and I'm hoping things are going well with 3!

Laney said...

Congratulations!! I'm so glad that you are both healthy and happy and all went (relatively) well! My epidural didn't work either, so I feel your pain. Not so awesome. Welcome to Colin - he is so cute, and looks just like your other two kids. :)

Ann said...

He is perfect! You definitely have bragging rights...nothing is more painful. I am so happy that he is here safely, and hope you recover quickly. Congratulations!

Aubri said...

Wow Jess Crazy! I hadn't heard yet that your little guy had arrived, so I'm glad I checked your blog. He fits right in with your cute kiddos, and I LOVE the cheeks! Good luck with 3!!