Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Brooke Story

That's right, no c-section for me! I still have a hard time believing it. My body never seems to do what it's supposed to, but this girl was much more cooperative than her brother. At 9am Sunday morning, my water broke, in the SHOWER. How cool is that? I was so surprised, and I didn't quite know what to do at first. I got out and got dressed and went through three pads before we left the house.
Becca and Scot were in church, but Cory managed to find the phone number for their building online and got the message to them. Becca left right away and met Cory and Brady in the hospital parking lot.
Cory dropped me off, and I was led to Labor and Delivery. After turning Brady over to Becca, he was up in my room 15 minutes later. I was at a 2 when they checked me initially. I don't know how anyone would elect to deliver a baby without an epidural. I'm just glad it was available to me, because after 45 minutes of contractions I'd had enough. I know, what a wimp! The doctor suggested I start on Pitocin at 1pm, so at 12:40 I requested the anesthesiologist take away the pain. I slowly progressed on my own, so they didn't give me the Pitocin until I was stuck at a 6 for a couple hours. At 11pm I got Pitocin and by 1:30 I called the nurse to come check me.
Throughout the day Cory and I tried not to get our hopes up. We just figured I wouldn't get very far and have to end up with a c-section anyway. But when the nurse checked me and said I was at a 9, we both had the goofiest grins on our faces. This was actually going to happen! Since I was a first timer, she showed me how to push and we had a couple practice rounds. I only pushed for 15 minutes and out she came. I got to have her right on my chest for a minute, which was cool. It was forever before I got to hold Brady.
You saw from Cory's post that she was born at 2:21am. She weighed 8 pounds, 3 ounces, one ounce more than Brady weighed. She was 20 1/4 inches long. After only 25 minutes I got her back and nursed her. She did really well and got a full feeding. She's been eating great and only lost 5 ounces in the hospital. Here are a few pictures from the hospital this morning before we left, and another tonight when Brady got to meet her.
I can't believe how big and grown up he is! We sure missed him as that was the first time he's ever slept anywhere without us. He's already fetched a couple things for me and I know he'll be so helpful. I knew I wanted a VBAC for several reasons, but I'm especially enjoying this quick recovery right now. It hasn't even been 48 hours and I'm walking around feeling great. It was also cool to be so involved in the delivery as I elected to see it through a mirror. Brooke's birth was such a great experience and I feel so blessed that it went so well.

16 comments:

The Ortega Family said...

Congrats! She really is gorgeous. Its crazy how a couple of nights away make Brady (Isaiah in our case) seem so big! It was as if they had a growth spurt overnight. Don't know when we'll get to meet Brooke, but can't wait to see her.
-Santiago-

I can't believe how much she looks like Brady! I'm glad everything went well with the delivery, and that you were able to have a VBAC. Its good you are feeling well, but try not to do too much! I was doing laundry the day we got home, and ended up having pains for weeks later. Brady is going to be a great big brother. So how is it changing a girl's diaper?
-Ashley-

Danielle said...

Thanks for filling us in! It sounds like you had an eventful day, congrats she's adorable! You'll love having your little girl!

Jenna said...

I am so happy for you guys! I'm glad you're home safe and sound. I am glad that Brooke's delivery was such a great experience for you!!

Tiffany said...

She is adorable! Congrats you guys! Both on the baby and the VBAC!

Ashley said...

I've been waiting for the full details! Cory's post left much to be desired! I am so happy for you. She is just darling. I think she looks like you. Isn't it amazing once you have a baby, the children you already have grow over night? Josh just seemed so big when Parker was born. It was unreal! I still wish you were near so we can see her, but lots of pictures will do. I was also shocked to see a card in the mail from you today, considering I knew you just had Brooke. Thank you for being so thoughtful. I think the world of you. I wish you a continued quick recovery!

With love-
The Mills

Kristi David said...

Congrats! She's gorgeous! Way to go. I'm excited for you and all of the pink in your future :)

emily said...

Congrats, Jess! That was supposed to be my story for #2, but no such luck! That's awesome that you were able to do a VBAC. It seems like that is becoming more rare these days! She's gorgeous and I'm so glad you are both happy and healthy! Best wishes in adjusting to two (it's really not that bad) and give her a big smooch for me!

Jen said...

Yea!!! I'm so glad you had a VBAC! What a cooperative young lady you have there :)

Rachel B. said...

I love birth stories! I totally think she looks like you! I know everybody will say a million different things, but that's what I'm sticking with for today. :) How awesome that you were able to do a VBAC. And yes, I completely agree that I have no idea how anybody could/would deliver a baby without an epidural. I was crying for an epidural after 10 minutes of pain, so you are most definitely not a wus. Great job Jess. I'm so glad everything went so well. I want to come see her sometime. Maybe next week?

Jessica said...

Congrats! I'm so glad everything went well and like you'd hoped. She's adorable! :)

Andrea said...

Congratulations! She is so beautiful and I'm glad everything went so well and it was such a great experience. That's awesome.

Shea Nicole said...

Congratulations!!!! We are so happy for you guys! :D Hope you're getting some sleep! :)

Chelsea said...

Congratulations! How wonderful that you were able to have the delivery that you wanted. Brooke is a beautiful little girl.

Staci said...

Yeah! I'm so glad it worked out so well for you guys and your beautiful baby girl.
:)

Diane said...

I am so excited for you that it worked out so well. I'm proud of you for making it work. And I am jealous you only pushed for 15 minutes! I can't wait to talk to you to get even more details. I will try to call soon!

mptanner said...

She is so beautiful, Congratulations!!