The issue of gay marriage in California was as hot a topic as the presidential debate. We have never been so involved in politics as we were with this proposition. For us it wasn't about our political views, it was about our religion.
We are happy to see that our time and resources have paid off. My involvement started in August when I was asked to call one third of the members of our church congregation to set up a meeting time for them to learn more about Prop 8 and how they could get involved.
In early October Cory took around yard signs for those who said they wanted one. We put one in our living room window.
We are happy to see that our time and resources have paid off. My involvement started in August when I was asked to call one third of the members of our church congregation to set up a meeting time for them to learn more about Prop 8 and how they could get involved.
In early October Cory took around yard signs for those who said they wanted one. We put one in our living room window.
Last Wednesday I stood on a busy street corner waving "Yes on 8" signs. I was alone for 15 minutes, which was quite intimidating. When three guys from church joined me, we got a mix of honks and thumbs ups, along with people shaking their heads and yelling things like "No on HATE!" I felt like there were more people agreeing with us than opposing us, but that was in family-oriented Rocklin, not San Fransisco or Hollywood.
Thursday night I attended a meeting with members from church at our bishop's house. He conveyed a message from our stake president, who had spoken with Elder Ballard earlier that afternoon. We learned that the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles would be fasting for us, the members in California, today, and that we would get the extra help we needed. It was a very spiritual meeting and I wish Cory could have been there.
Saturday morning a friend and I attempted to put door hangers on people's doors who said they were voting Yes. It was a gated community and nobody was going in or out in the rain, so we had to go back last night.
This morning I spent an hour and a half walking from house to house with door hangers. They were just one last reminder to go to the polls and vote Yes on Prop 8.
Obviously we are happy the proposition passed, but we're not blind to the notion that we haven't heard the last of gay marriage here in California. This fight was only the beginning.
6 comments:
good for you, thanks for all your hard work!
That's awesome. Wow, you did a lot and I'm sure your efforts were worth it. I'm glad it passed. And Brady is such a cute little cat. :)
I think similar measures passed in AZ and FL. I guess they were a little different, with CA reinforcing the previous vote that was overturned in courts while the AZ and FL were measures to officially define marraige.
It actually hasn't officially passed ... yet. So let's keep praying!
Thanks for your contribution! I am so relieved that it passed and heaven only knows it's the beginning. But with the Lord on our side, all things are possible!
Go Jess! You're awesome!
Post a Comment