Thursday, November 13, 2008

"Messy Jessie"

Am I the only one this happens to? I feel like I drop things all the time. A few years ago when I worked at BYU, I was about to eat breakfast before work. I was just sitting down to eat my bowl full of Golden Crisp cereal. My spoon caught on my chest and tipped my bowl over. Of course the cereal spilled all over my lap and the floor, making a sticky mess. Just last month I dropped an open sour cream container and half the contents spilled out. Yesterday's victim was leftover soup.

This was not just any soup. It was Black Bean 'N' Pumpkin Chili and I was really excited to eat it. I had the edge of the container between my fingers, and I guess I underestimated its weight and dropped it. This is what happened next:
  • I screamed then tried to pretend I was happy as to not alert Brady who was, thankfully, eating his dinner at the table.
  • I ate what little soup was left in the container (I was pretty hungry).
  • I stuck my foot in the sink to rinse off the soup.
  • I took off my jeans and rinsed them in the sink.
  • I grabbed the camera and took this picture.
  • I used paper towels to wipe up most of the soup from the floor.
  • I finally remembered to close the microwave.
  • I filled the sink with mop water.
  • I mopped the floor, which I hate doing. I admittedly mop monthly (used to be every other month in our last place) and I just mopped less than two weeks ago.
  • I rinsed out the hand towel and used it to wipe off the oven door.
  • Once the floor was dry I stood in front of the fridge and came up with an alternate plan for dinner.

Isn't spilling so annoying? I will remind myself of this next time Brady spills so I don't get so frustrated.

4 comments:

Kristi David said...

I don't spill things as much as kill them - usually of the electronic type! I hope your alternate dinner was good enough to compensate for your loss!

Chelsea said...

I spill ALL the time and it's extra annoying because I never used to. If I mop the floor it always ends up being the night we eat spaghetti and if it's not me that spills then one of the other two will...without fail. Who invented mopping anyway? I'd like to have a word with them :)

Rachel B. said...

Ha, I love the play by play. So funny. You're such a cute mom to act like nothing happened for Brady's sake. And oh dear, yes I do spill non-stop. I have a new stain of some sort on my shirt pretty much every day. I'm also tripping all the time. Tom always sings the song from "Miss Congeniality" to me..."She's Beauty and She's Grace..." So you're definitely not alone. And I agree about mopping. I hate it. Although, I recently got a steam mop and it tends to make me mop a little more.

Do we get to hear about your birthday? Now, I know you Jess and know that you are not one to be shy about your birthday. Come on. Give us the goods!

Jenna said...

I hear you, I swear I get clumsier everyday. Gotta love the everyday moments!