Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Estate Sales

We've got a new hobby - estate sales. So far we've found a lot of great stuff for really low prices like a globe, a set of dishes, $1 ski goggles, and a couple nutcrackers for $5. The one we went to Monday was a little different. There was a sign-up at the door, and they only allowed a few people in at a time. Everyone left outside was anxious and felt they were losing their chance at the leather couches and broaches inside. It was interesting to observe, and funny to hear them speculate about what people were carrying to their cars. Cory and I were #38, so we waited outside for 45 minutes. It was worth the wait though. Cory found some great items, and I found a Sorry board game, a Cars lamp for Brady, and a few non-expired grocery items in the basement storage room. A 44-ounce bottle of Heinz ketchup for $0.50? That's a great deal!
Cory is on an estate sale email list, so we go whenever we get a chance, with or without kids. We won babysitting at the scout auction, so the boy in our neighborhood came over Monday to watch the kids while we were gone. What a great way to kick off our week!
For all you garage sale lovers, estate sales are definitely different. You won't find any kids clothes there, but the items aren't people's discarded junk either. It's usually stuff they would be using if they were still around. I also enjoy garage sales though, and yardsaletreasuremap.com is a great site to make your garage sale hopping much more efficient. Happy shopping!

1 comment:

Matt & April Herman said...

I love estate sales! What mailing list does Cory belong to? I also enjoy garage saling, so thnks for the tip:)