Tuesday, March 2, 2010

4 Months Old

Brooke has always been an easy baby, but she's gotten even more so this past month in terms of independence. She'll sit in her Bumbo seat for 15 to 20 minutes before fussing. This way Cory and I can play card games and not have to hold her the whole time she's awake. She still loves her swing and it's pretty much guaranteed she'll doze off in there. Because of Brady we hadn't given her much time on the floor until this past week. We figure if she's going to roll over it should be when she's on a blanket on the floor (rather than our bed or the changing table.) We're trying to give her that opportunity, and more tummy time as well. It's time for her to start playing with toys, and I'm sure Brady will enjoy helping her with that.

For the first time on Saturday she fell asleep on her own in her bed. Her nap was almost 2 1/2 hours. What a huge milestone that was! She hasn't done it since, but at least we know she's capable.

I put a headband on Brooke daily because they make her look even cuter, but also because I want her to be used to having something on her head. I'm hoping that will prevent her from pulling out her bows when she's older. Unfortunately this is one of the drawbacks of wearing a headband.

Brooke cut her first tooth almost a month ago and she's been little miss slobber face ever since. She still refuses a pacifier, but two of her fingers does the trick. We often see her tongue rolling around in her mouth, or licking her lips.

She also started making a lot more noise this month. It's not just whining or crying anymore. I guess it's fun she's discovered her voice, but in our house where "peace and quiet" is a high priority, it's not always appreciated. It's most frustrating at church now that she's too old to just fall asleep in our arms. She fights sleep and wants everyone to know it. We still haven't given up on the pacifier, and maybe next month I'll have a positive report.
Brooke is more fun now that she's giggling. When we kick her feet for her she'll give us a huge smile. The biggest giggles come when Brady dances for her and when we chase him around carrying her in front of us. Brady loves to make her laugh, and he enjoys watching her "exercise" on the changing table - flinging her arms and legs up and down uncontrollably like a frog. She only does that when she thinks we're not watching.

Brooke is growing well, although her weight and height are quite disproportionate. She weighs 15 lbs. 4 oz., 83%. She has barely grown in length, so at exactly 2 feet long she is 41%. She usually sleeps 10 hours at night and is down to 5 feedings most days. The doctor said I can start her on solids once she's doubled her birth weight. I am in no hurry for that, which is good since she still needs to gain a pound or so.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

Oh my, she's so adorable. I love all those pictures. I'm glad she's being so good for you. 4 month olds are amazing! Keep trying the pacifier!

Eilene said...

Those pictures of Brooke are all so darling! She really gets going when her clothes are off and she can freely move those chubby little legs and arms.
I can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks.

Diane said...

She is so cute. Isn't it great when they will sit in their little bumbo and entertain themselves? Why do you want her to take a pacifier so badly? Personally I think if she can self soothe with her fingers then she is better off. Then you aren't reliant on a pacifier and you don't have to worry about getting rid of it in the future. Maybe I am missing something?

Reary Family said...

I love the picture of Brooke on her tummy, her eyes look so big. But then I love that her eyes disappeared when she was smiling (I don't mean the headband cover-up, gotta love that). Chubby cheeks or Christensen eyes? So cute.