Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Amazing Race

After looking at 31 houses in two cities in exactly one month, we found a house we love on Friday. It's a spec home that was just finished in December. It's got 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, 2051 square feet and a 3-car tandem garage. We plan to finish the 1000-square-foot basement with a family room, a bedroom, a 3/4 bathroom and a food storage room. We fasted about it Sunday and felt like this was the house for us. We called our realtor Rey Monday morning telling him our offer.

The builder office didn’t open until 1pm Monday, so as soon as they opened Rey called with our offer. We didn’t expect to get an answer that day, but he called back around 4:00 to tell us their counter offer. He then told me the crazy part. Just ten minutes after our offer was made, another couple made an offer. They got the same counter we did. Rey asked Becky at the office how they’ll determine who to give it to if we both accept the counter. She said whoever brings in a check for the earnest money first. While I was still on the phone with Rey, Cory quickly grabbed the checkbook, I wrote out the check, handed Brooke (who had just finished eating) off to Cory and headed out the door in the falling snow.

The Pilot was buried under 6 inches of snow and I’ve never cleared it off so fast. I was driving like a maniac, and I felt like I was on the Amazing Race. I told Heavenly Father if He wants us in that house He better let me get there first. Rey called when I was about 5 minutes away and I thought he was calling to tell me I was too late. Instead, he asked how it went. I told him I was still 5 minutes away and he said he’d told Becky I’d be there in 10 to 15 minutes rather than 35 so she could discourage the other buyers. We love Rey! Then he called her back and told her I was just 5 minutes away. So when I walked into the office I knew I had it in the bag. We will meet Wednesday at 1pm to sign the papers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I LOVE it!! Must be meant to be, cute house too!