Thursday, October 22, 2009

We made it!

The hope was to move in last Saturday, but on the rainy Tuesday we left (yeah, I loved how it didn't rain for months and waited until moving day for a downpour), the driver of the moving company told us it would be Monday or Tuesday instead.
This was our place Monday, the day before we moved.

Due to poor planning on part of the moving company, and a driver that seemed to be a complete moron, first going to the wrong apartment complex, it took them more than four hours to load us and we didn't leave until almost 3pm. We drove in the rain the ENTIRE way to Elko, hands clutching the wheel, but it kept us awake. After two stops along the way we checked into the lovely Motel 6 at 10:00.

We left around 8:30 Wednesday morning and the sunny monotonous drive to Utah was actually refreshing and relaxing. We stopped in Lehi to see Terra and her kids before heading to my mom's house. We stayed there three days and headed out Saturday morning with Leesa coming along to help drive.

Here's the back of the Pilot loaded with as much as we could fit, including our TV, the chair and ottoman (it was my dad's and my mom has been storing it for us at her house), Christmas presents from my mom for us and the Wayes, baby clothes from Terra (and Becca that I'd brought to my mom's in August not knowing if whether we'd be back there before I had the baby), and our tree that the movers wouldn't touch because of the ceramic pot it sits in. Cory has some major spacial management skills as he was able to fit all that in there. The Corolla was mostly packed with our suitcases.

We arrived mid-afternoon in Fort Collins at Becca's house where we stayed three nights.

Here are a couple shots from Sunday. Cory has a gift for making Asher happy. He was in tears and fighting to catch his breath when I was holding him, but then Cory came upstairs and took him. It was amazing to see how quickly he calmed down. I just tried not to take it personally.

On Monday Becca and Leesa stayed up there (an hour north of us) with Brady so Cory and I could sign our apartment lease, shop for groceries, and get some other needed items for our apartment. Monday was the first time I saw this place and I have to say I'm impressed with Cory for finding it. He was definitely inspired to drive by this little street and stop at the leasing office. It was not on my spreadsheet of apartments for him to look at. Of course there are things that I preferred about our other place, but other things I prefer here (like a gas fireplace that we'll actually use!). The third floor will be a good way to burn a few calories, and overall it's a great apartment. Of couse the third bedroom is a nice upgrade for us. We got half off our rent for the first month on a six-month lease, so I wouldn't complain even if I hated the place. We don't plan to be here long.

We hurried down here Tuesday morning to learn that the driver wouldn't arrive for another hour. We sat around waiting and he didn't show up until an hour after that. There were just three men bringing all our stuff up here to the third floor (no elevator). We felt bad for them, but that's what they do. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job. Another 3 1/2 hours and they were gone. We got the beds made, bought a twin mattress and dresser for Brady, got the phones, Internet and TV set up (high priority there), and unpacked as much as we had energy for. It was a very productive day.

We woke up Wednesday morning to discover that it was snowing! It was so magical I had to take some pictures. By mid-morning the snow had stopped and there was no evidence of it on the roads. I went to a doctor appointment and learned all about the hospital and their policies. More on that in the next post. This one is getting a bit lengthy.

My main project for the day was to unpack the kitchen. This is a bigger kitchen than our last, but I wanted to be organized about where I put things so it took all day. What I've really been wanting to do was sit at the computer and make this blog post. Haha, that too, but really I've been dying to pull out all the cute baby clothes we were given, or that I bought months ago, and get it washed and put in drawers or on hangers. I definitely didn't get to that yesterday, and Cory and I were both slowed down by Brady who had a low fever and runny nose. He wanted to be held a lot, which made it difficult to be too productive.

This morning I went to check out the fitness center. They have a few more cardio machines than our last one and quite a few more weight machines. I worked out on a couple different ellipticals and a treadmill, but that was more difficult. It seems I can't walk past 3.7 now days. I've been working out four days a week throughout my pregnancy, but today was tough since I'd gone almost two weeks without much cardio. A woman at the gym asked me how far along I am. When I told her I'm due next week and couldn't resist saying, "Wow, you're sure pushing it, aren't you." I felt the need to defend myself and tell her I felt fine. I was annoyed, but I guess I do look pretty funny in there and most people probably think the same thing without saying it to my face.
Once I got ready we took a family trip to the DMV. Yep, another high priority on the checklist. We needed Colorado driver's licenses and my need was urgent since it expires next month. Like I wanted to do that without Cory and two kids. Our experience was surprisingly quick and painless. I thought we'd have to take a test like we did when we moved to California. I guess this state doesn't care if we know the rules of the road. We did learn that drivers over 18 can talk on their cell phones while driving, but no texting is allowed. I felt like a little deviant calling Cory on the way home from my doctor appointment.
Now I am finally doing laundry, just the smallest sizes for now, and blogging. This week is getting better and better. Once her laundry is put away I'll only have two more things to do before heading to the hospital - buy some twin bedding for Brady (he's sleeping on the crib mattress on the floor in his room for now) and buy a Fisher-Price Rain Forest swing. That will be another craigslist purchase and hopefully tomorrow.
A few of you have asked about Cory's work (oh right, the reason we moved here). He starts on Monday, November 9. My mom arrives Saturday, November 7 and Becca has agreed to take Brady while I'm in the hospital. So there's your update. We survived the trip (which was like a little vacation since I got to see all my family on the way) and we're happy to be here.

9 comments:

Megan said...

That place looks like a complex my dad and I stayed in for a while until we bought our new house and moved my mom up. (It was in Lakewood... and it's definitely much older than that place!)

Do you have the 10-digit dialing there? We're about to get it here... grumble, grumble...

You are totally amazing! Best wishes for a smooth transition--in all aspects--including Labor & Delivery. (BTW, every time I brought home a baby from the hospital at least one of the other kids was sick... Good luck!)

Ash said...

I am so glad to hear that you guys made it. You really are missed. I started looking around for you at Enrichment and then realized that you were gone. BOO. Cant wait to hear that little girlie has made it. :) We will sure miss you guys.

CdA News Editor said...

I hope you got an AWD Pilot.

Luci said...

Congrats!! Are you so relieved? ;)

Miss you here.

Tiffany said...

Glad you made it and you are all well! Good luck with the delivery! I hope everything goes as planned(VBAC). And you got to see snow the day after you moved in! Look at that!

Shea Nicole said...

Glad you made it safe and sound. :) When I got your email with your address, I had NO idea that you were going to be in westminster. That's where my sister and brother in law live. :) In fact, you'll probably be delivering at the hospital my sister works at. :D Hope your unpacking goes smooth. Hugs!

Jenna said...

I love how productive you are, you and Cory make a great team! I was thinking about you all last week and am so glad you like the apartment Cory picked! I can't wait to hear more...

Dave and Ashley Blackhurst said...

EEesh! You've got too much going on all at one time! I can't believe you moved right when you were expecting a baby! You're a brave woman; much stronger than I would be. Congrats on the new place. Looks nice

Diane said...

I'm so glad you made it. I thought about you that whole week. Call me before you have that baby!