It was a year ago today that my dad passed away. One of my assignments was to order the headstone. With many other things taking priority, this wasn't set at the cemetary until early August. Fortunately it was there for us to see during our visit.
We decided on a forest scene because he really enjoyed nature. He liked to go for drives up the canyon on Sunday afternoons when we were younger. A road trip was his idea of a good time, and I believe he managed to see all 50 states. When I was 14 our family rented an RV and my parents drove it from Utah through Nevada and up through Oregon and Washington. We stopped in Seattle then drove along the Columbia River, down through Montana, Idaho and back home. As a parent I would NEVER choose to do that, but it was a really fun trip for us and I know my dad loved seeing the northwest that way.
When Brady saw this photo he said, "That's Grandpa's place." I was only a year old when my dad's mother died, so I understand how it is to never really know a grandparent. Although Brady won't have memories of my dad, we've got video footage and pictures, and a cemetary to visit whenever we get the chance.



3 comments:
The headstone looks great, you did a wonderful job. It's good that you have the videos and everything for Brady to remember him by.
I really like the headstone, I think your dad would really like it. I'm glad you got to visit his grave while you were home. It will be nice for you to be able to do that when you're visiting.
Leesa and I went there today. You really did do a nice job with the choices you all made on the headstone.
Post a Comment