Sunday, May 17, 2009

Canceled

On the side of some people's blogs is a list of TV shows they are watching. I would do that, but I'm embarrassed to admit to some of them, and to admit the exact number of shows I watch each season. Let's just say at one point this season I had five shows on within two hours, and between the DVR, a TV in our bedroom, and full episodes online, I was able to make it work.
Each season I try a few new shows, and it turns out that I'm one of the only people who does because they only seem to last one or two seasons before they are canceled.
My first major disappointment with a show cancellation was in 2006, a cute show on The WB called Related.

Many more followed after that. NBC had this great show in 2007 called Journeyman starring Kevin McKidd, who now plays Dr. Owen Hunt on Grey's Anatomy. The main character traveled back in time and it got Back to the Future 2 exciting when he had to avoid himself in the past. I LOVED Journeyman and I'm sure if those of you who I recommended the show to had tuned in, it would have been renewed. (I told everyone about this show!)
CBS cancelled Moonlight and Shark last year, both of which I wasn't too surprised about. ABC canceled Eli Stone and Life on Mars, and I just discovered Samantha Who will not come back next season. For those of you Eli Stone lovers, I read that they are showing the final four episodes on Saturday nights starting June 20, so mark your calendars. I wasn't too surprised about Life on Mars not getting renewed, but that was one of my favorite shows.
For those of you who missed the 17 entertaining episodes, I'm so sorry. What a great show that was. At least the producers allowed it a proper series finale, as crazy as it was, for which I am grateful.
I'm sure any of you who watched the TNT series Trust Me are pretty upset about its cancellation. Who doesn't love Tom Cavanagh? I hope he lands a show that will stick.

Last but not least...
LIFE
I just found out about this one last night. They did wrap things up with the last episode, but I'm still sad. I will surely miss Detective Charlie Crews.
I'd love to hear your lamentations about any of these cancellations. Hopefully I'm not the only one who will miss these shows. My summer TV schedule is far from full, so I'm open to suggestions.

10 comments:

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

I am happy to hear you enjoy your television watching too. David considered canceling ours, just so we wouldn't watch so much TV. I was against it and soon he felt the same. While I didn't watch any of the "new" canceled shows, I do really miss ER. I watched it off and on since the beginning. Thursday nights just aren't the same without it. We are also fans of 24, Lost, Medium, CSI (Las Vegas, whichever one it is), and were fans of Hero's, but recently lost interest.

Last summer we watch the Japanese Game Show, show and really got a kick out of it. I am a bachelor/bachelorette fan, but I just can't invest in it again. It's too emotional. (I didn't care for the bachelor last time, but there were some great ladies on the show). As is Jon & Kate Plus 8. On Memorial Day they are having a special to tell their side of the story.

We're a little backed up on our DVR, so we will spend the first part of the summer catching up. What would we do without technology!! (Probably something more productive. Oh well)

(I deleted my last post to fix some spelling errors)

Anonymous said...

Word is that Samantha Who? is still a bright prospect for renewal and the hold up in ABC giving the official go ahead is that they are still sorting out the financial aspect of cutting the show's budget and the proposed format change. So it's not cancelled.

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle said...

I must say I was in total mourning when they cancelled Eli Stone. Theere are so few shows out there that actually have a good message and that was one of them! With all my shows ending there are a few reccommendations I need to give to you (trust me you won't be sorry). One of the shows that starts back up in the summer is called Burn Notice. You can usually catch a bunch of repeats (its on USA) so you can get caught up. You have to watch it at least 3 times to get hooked, you will love this one. So You Think You can Dance starts back up this week-YEAH!!! It is so good. And my one last favorite that you need to start renting is Friday Night Lights. I PROMISE you will not be disappointed. It was almost cancelled but WAY too many people protested it and they signed it for 2 more seasons. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be angry and happy all within one hour. If I could only watch one television show the rest of my life it would be Friday Night Lights, you won't be disappointed.
So there you have it all my ramblings and reccommendations, apparently I watch way too much TV....

Megan said...

We loved Journeyman and still wish we could watch more.

Glad to know I'm not the only one watching way too many shows!

Jenna said...

I have to admit that I haven't heard of most of the shows that you said were cancelled. I have my few shows and I stick with them. However, there was one show on the WB last year that I DVR'd faithfully and then it was cancelled. It was a total family show and it was on Sunday nights which I'm sure is why it was cancelled. It was called "Life is Wild" I LOVED it. I was like Seventh Heaven but actually good. :) I loved all the awesome Africa wildlife. So sad.

Diane said...

That's why my new policy is to not watch new shows until I know they will continue!

I'm happy to hear that they will finish Eli Stone. That is such a good show!

And you know I watch more tv than you do!

Trotts said...

I hadn't heard that they were cancelling Samantha Who, and I'm not at all happy about that one. The rest of them I've never watched. As long as they don't cancel Biggest Loser any time soon I'll be okay.

Erica said...

I love and miss the show, My So Called Life, from back in the day. Oh man that was a great show for my teenage self.