Saturday, April 4, 2009

Crib: Kick It or Keep It?

A while ago I lowered the side rail on Brady's crib, and I wondered how long it would take him to figure it out. It actually took him a couple months. A few weeks ago Brady got out on his own, and I knew we would need to make a decision soon. After many more successful attempts, we've decided that we are going to keep him in his crib for now. I know that sounds kind of odd so I'll explain with a couple examples.

1. A couple times a week he'll decide playing with toys is more fun than napping. He'll get out of his crib and play in his room. It's fine with me because every time he's done that, he's stayed in his room with the door closed for two hours until I go get him. As long as I have my time, I don't care what he's doing in there (except when 5:00 rolls around and he wants me to hold him while I'm making dinner).

2. The other day we heard him get out of his crib after his nap, and we figured he'd come out of his room. About 10 minutes later Cory went in his room and discovered Brady in his crib with a puzzle.

3. Just this morning I went in to get him out of bed when I heard him awake. We still put socks on him at night, but he often takes them off and drops them to the side of his crib. I looked around the crib to find them this morning, asking him where they were. He told me they were in the drawer. Thinking he meant clean socks, I ignored him and looked for another minute before I gave up. I opened his sock drawer for a new pair and found the socks I'd been looking for. Since he was wearing them when I tucked him in last night, I can only surmise that he took them off and put them in his drawer this morning and got back in his crib.

With these examples and many others, we decided there is no need to take down his crib yet. We don't want him coming in our room in the morning, so until he starts that annoying habit, the crib stays put.

5 comments:

Rachel B. said...

Very wise decision Jess. My mom told me to keep Reese in her crib for as long as possible. So we didn't switch her until a couple or weeks or so before Claire came. If you don't need the crib for something else then I most definitely agree with you to keep him caged in for as long as possible. Love the sock story by the way.

Jenna said...

Yep, keep him in as long as possible. ;) I wish I had kept Cyrena in longer.

the cox family said...

Hi! Remember us? :) I found your blog! How are you guys? Brady is getting so big!

Tiffany said...

We try to make our kids grow up too fast! =) Peyton has been in a toddler bed since January. But I remember when Talia was 15 months she had to get used to the toddler bed cause we needed Kami to go in the crib soon.

Erica said...

Kick the crib!!! There is nothing better than having June wake up and crawl in bed with us in the morning. Yes, there are times when it is too early, but we always love cuddling for a bit before Nate goes to work.