Friday, April 17, 2009

Clean Teeth!

I hadn't had my teeth cleaned since April, 2007, which was right before my dental insurance through USC expired. Because Cory has been cleaning teeth since his second year in dental school, I figured we didn't really need dental insurance after that. Neither of us get cavities so we've been fine in that regard.
Lately I've been wanting a cleaning, and finally all the haircuts I've given Cory have added up! I say that because that's the service I provide for him. (Not to mention all the cooking, cleaning, laundry and caring for his son, but all that stuff is expected.)
On Cory's day off Wednesday I sat down in our leather recliner and he pulled up a chair and cleaned my teeth. I have to honestly say it was the BEST cleaning I've ever had. Of course there were no fun rinse or suction gadgets, but Cory was so gentle and never once hurt my gums. Oh, and the compliments! He kept saying how little plaque I had and after two years how impressive that was. (Okay, now I'm really patting myself on the back.) It was such a cool experience to be his patient. I've wondered what his patients experience so now I know. It was great seeing him in action, and that night as he read his Dentaltown magazine I thought, It's good he's keeping up on these new techniques so he can be a better dentist, rather than my usual thoughts of, Can't he put the dentistry away for a while and pay attention to ME?

Of course Cory would not pose for a picture, but above is an action shot of him at a dental clinic in Mexico City in 2006. Below he is working on a patient in Belize in 2007.

Thankfully Cory still enjoys dentistry and does not want to change professions. Eventually he would like to participate in more of these international charity dental trips, but for now he's getting experience by working hard and it's paying the bills.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I wish I could get a cleaning like that every once and a while. I love to have my teeth cleaned and I would love to do it more than twice a year, but insurance only pays for that much. How great it would be to have that done more. =) My husband is a nurse and it does make me feel better that he is when I am in the hospital having a baby and he is making sure the meds are working and IV is working and all that jazz. Maybe I'll let him do the IV in me this time. =) Not as beneficial as a teeth cleaning though!! LOL

Rachel B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel B. said...

Oh Jess, you know I love this post. I was giddy reading it. How would that be to have a in-home teeth cleaning service? I can only dream. :)

And I'm absolutely positive Michael was not offended by gay comments. We joke about it all the time. And he hears it non-stop since he does hair for a living.

The Ortega Family said...

It took him that long to agree to clean your teeth? I haven't had my teeth cleaned in awhile also. We have dental insurance now and I went for an appt...I learned it was just for a consultation. SO now I've been slacking on making another appt for an actual cleaning. Do they not understand some people have kids and its hard to get a babysitter!!! Why can't it all be done in one appt?

Eilene said...

I'm really feeling fortunate that I had a teeth cleaning by Cory and didn't have to give haircuts, tend his child or clean his house. I have, however, fixed him a meal or two. I didn't get the recliner but I certainly enjoyed the great cleaning and am feeling guilty that I got mine long before his wife.

Jenna said...

That is AWESOME. I could totally picture it, you described it so well. I still think the dental profession is wasted on you 2 with your perfect teeth....grrr...