Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What a Mess!

On a cold February evening in 1981, this is how my mom found me the night before she gave birth to my sister. I was 15 months old and she must have wondered what she was getting herself into having babies so close in age, and 3 kids under 3 1/2 years old. I was always making a mess, sticking my finger in each Thanksgiving pie, getting into the fireplace, etc. My nickname was Messy Jessie. Now I wonder if my mom wished a messy child on me someday...
I was just complaining to my mom today that Brady rarely plays in his room by himself. He wants to be wherever I am and get into things he shouldn't. A little later I was busy in the kitchen and realized Brady was quietly playing in his room. I didn't want to even peek in there out of fear that he would see me and follow me back into the kitchen. As it turns out, I should have gone in there to check on him long before he came out to get me.
He thought I would be mad so he cried, but I really just wanted to get a couple pictures. I kept reassuring him that it was okay as I gave him a bath. I'm surprised at how calmly I reacted, but I figure baby powder is cheap, and it's probably the best thing he could have poured all over the carpet. Now every time I vacuum I'll smell baby powder. Like I said, it could be a lot worse.
Aparently he thought his hair wasn't light enough.
After his bath and some time playing outside, life is all good. At least I'm not nine months pregnant like my mom was.

6 comments:

Becca said...

Great post, Jess! I love the "self-portrait."

David Mills said...

I think blogs save our children. In these situations we think, "I have to get a picture so I can blog it." I have done it many times, check out February 4th on my blog. Needless to say, you got some cute pictures out of it. The last one is especially nice. I will see you on Thursday at the Chili Cook off!

Ashley

Tiffany said...

That is pretty funny! Yes, I would think if anything, baby powder was a good choice, Brady. Way to keep your composure!

Erica said...

I LOVE the picture of Brady looking so guilty. Cute picture of the both of you too! Sometimes I forget to include pictures of myself along with the rest of the fam :)

Diane said...

That's hilarious. I love the second to last picture. So guilty!

Jenna said...

That's too funny! I love that you have a similar picture of yourself....classic!