December 1st was a beautiful day, and I couldn't resist taking pictures of the kids in their Sunday clothes. This is quite possibly my favorite picture of Brady this year.
On December 4 I was taking Brooke to an appointment in a neighboring town. It was a snowy day and I made the mistake of taking the dirt road north of our neighborhood to shave off a few minutes. There was a major wind gust and I found myself veering toward the edge of the road. These dirt roads have quite a drop-off at the edge, so I was wary about getting too close. I turned the wheel to get back on the road, but I was swerving all over at that point. Pretty soon we were headed back to the right edge. I called to Brooke to hold on just before we crashed. The momentum really picked up and we hit that ditch so hard on the passenger's side that we flipped at a diagonal. Thank goodness we landed right-side-up!
I searched for my cell phone and realized my purse had flown out the passenger window when it broke. I went and grabbed it, but my phone was actually sitting in a pile of glass on the passenger's seat. I called Cory who was at home with Colin. Then I tried to reassure a tearful Brooke with a big hug. That's when it hit me how scary that was. This roll-over wasn't my first rodeo, but this was new to Brooke. She kept insisting "That was NOT fun!" through her tears. That being the second roll-over accident of mine, I had the odd feeling that I was invincible. Obviously that's not true and Heavenly Father is watching out for me. It was another way of showing me that He loves me and has a plan for me.
Cory came to our rescue, but not before a kind man in a big truck pulled over and offered a warm seat in his truck for Brooke while we waited. Our poor Honda Pilot saved our lives. It was a good car with only 70,000 miles on it. We'd planned to keep it for another 3 years. May it rest in peace.
We went 16 days with only one car. It was difficult, but thanks to a few friends, we made it work. Brooke was in gymnastics at the rec center then and here she stands waiting for her ride to class.
We've decided gymnastics is something we'd like Brooke to persue, so she'll start another session next month.
Brady misses sharing a room with Brooke, so we instituted a Friday night sleep-over.
Somehow she didn't even notice his smelly foot on her face.
I'm pretty proud of this shot. People have asked me if I took it. It's all in the camera, but it sure is easier with a compliant subject whom the camera can't seem to get enough of.
Since the insurance company declared the Pilot a total loss, we found a great deal on a 2012 red Toyota Sienna on December 20. It's got all the bells and whistles including a wide screen DVD player and push-button start. This was our first trip together in the new ride.
For the first time in 4 years we were able to attend the Comfort Dental Christmas party. There was a photo booth, great food, friends from USC and Christmas presents from Santa.
And here come the photos of the kids in front of the tree. With this beautiful tree (I mean cute kids) how could I resist?
Christmas highlights...
Hello Kitty...favorite gift
She got a make-up kit from Grandma Eilene. She's a natural!
Colin loved this toy from Cory's parents.
Cory surprised me with this Fitbit, and it's the best Christmas present I've gotten in a really long time!
On December 26 the kids and I flew to Utah for a few days while Cory finished off the year at work. We all had a great time. Brooke and Avery reconnected, and Terra and I both have a framed copy of this photo to brainwash them into remembering they are best friends. What? They're the only girls in their families and they get along really well. We're doing them a huge favor. Ha!



No comments:
Post a Comment