Saturday, December 10, 2011

Keeping Busy, New Calling

I was the primary chorister for a year, and I loved that calling.  We have the best kids in our primary, and even the oldest senior primary kids are always happy to be there and participate.  Our program mid-October went so well I didn't have any regrets.  They sang Praise to the Man beautifully, and when the congregation joined in on the fourth verse, I was told the children could still be heard singing the chorus from the back of the cultural hall.  The Spirit was so strong, and I had chills, not to mention the big grin on my face.  I had just a few weeks after that to teach some songs I wanted them to learn, then I got the phone call.
It was a Monday night when the counselor in the Bishopric called to invite me in for an interview.  Full of dread, I asked what it was regarding.  "A possible new calling and release, " I was told.  The day before in Stake Conference our current Gospel Doctrine (Sunday School) teacher was called as a member of the Stake Sunday School presidency.  I went to the interview expecting the worst - that I would be the new Gospel Doctrine teacher, hoping if I expected the worst I would be happily surprised.  Well let's just say it's good I had low expectations because that's exactly what calling I was extended.  There was no lack of hesitation in my response, but I did accept.  I cried all the way home because I was anxious about having to teach adult men, worried I couldn't live up to everyone's expectations, and devastated I would no longer be in Primary.
I emailed my friend the Sunday School President and asked "why me?"  He told me in no uncertain terms that this was an answer to prayer, and he proceeded to explain why he thought I was perfect for the calling.  Maybe not perfect, I'm paraphrasing.  Anyway, with his vote of confidence I sustained myself with a smile the next Sunday.  Then I was set apart, and now, after one lesson under my belt, I feel great about my new calling.  Plus, I get to teach Book of Mormon next year. I certainly won't be bored during Sunday School, and then I can relax and enjoy Relief Society.  So this new calling hasn't necessarily taken up a ton of my time, but it has certainly occupied a lot of my thoughts.

3 comments:

The Ortega Family said...

There's a stake sunday school presidency? Who knew!

Congrats on your calling. When we first moved ino the ward the bishop asked me what calling would I not want...gospel doctrine was first on my list. But I think you will do great.

Jenna said...

Yeah, totally new train of thought teaching doctrine to adults! But you always excel at everything you do, the spirit will be with you!

Reary Family said...

One down, lots to go. I am glad that it went well. You will do a great job!