This is not a tutorial, but you can find many if you just do a rag quilt search. I used a few different ideas to come up with this masterpiece. Yes, I'm very proud.

My mother-in-law helped by cutting all the pieces of batting, ironing some of the fabric, and sewing about 60 of the squares. I cut and ironed the fabric and sewed the other 30 squares. Then I sewed 11 rows of 8 squares each. Finally I sewed all the rows together. Then it was time to cut the edges. Cory helped with this part.

Brooke liked scooting around on it, enjoying the softness of the flannel.

Then I washed and dried it to get the ends to fray.


I had some extra squares for some reason, so I made a decorative pillow for the bed.

I also made a pillow case. Here it is all set for Brooke, or any little girls who come to visit.

For years, before we even had Brady, I had wanted to make a rag quilt for some future baby girl of mine. I hadn't even thought about it again until Becca mentioned making one a couple months ago. By that time it was too late for a baby quilt, so I decided to go big and make a twin-size. I thought it would be a great project for my mother-in-law and I to work on during her visit. I got the sewing machine out of the box a few weeks ago and it's been set up ever since. Now I'm a sewing maniac. I made throw pillows with the extra brown flannel, and also a little apron with the leftover striped fabric. I'm even planning to hem the pants I bought at H&M nearly two years ago. I never thought I'd say this, but sewing is actually pretty fun. Thanks Sherry, for all your help with this!
9 comments:
Way to go, Jess! It looks fantastic!
It turned out darling! I love the colors. Way to go!
glad to hear you have caught the sewing bug! If you ever want help with a project, or just want to show something off let me know- I sew almost everything- one of my passions.
April
Wow, that turned out so cute! I love the pillow cases too, that was a great idea. I am impressed.
It looks great! Don't worry, around the 100th wash the fuzzies start to dissipate.
So cute Jess!! I really love that cute pillow along with it too. I really need to learn to sew. My sewing machine has bit the dust, but if I ever decide to buy one again now I know just the girl to help me with projects. :) Also, you made me laugh with the "this is not a tutorial" opening. C'mon, what's not a tutorial these days?! ;)
That is so adorable! You will have to teach me
DARLING!!!
So cute, I love the pillow you made to match. It looks great!
Post a Comment