Sunday, June 20, 2010

This Guy of Mine

The more I'm around other people's husbands, the more I realize how perfect Cory is for me. It also makes me more grateful for our relationship, and for the years we've had together.
Cory is camera shy. You may have noticed. With that said, here is Cory's Father's Day in a nutshell, with only one shot of him.
Since Cory and I both acknowledge that I am the only cook in this house, I figured I could make his day special by making some of his favorite foods. We started the day with strawberry waffles.
Then we went to church. Poor little Brooke was begging for a nap before we left the house.
At the end of our meetings all the guys got to eat pie that the women had brought. I took an Oreo Cheesecake, but Cory picked a chocolate mousse pie with nuts in it. Interesting choice.
Here is our dinner consisting of some of Cory's top picks: teriyaki chicken, fajita shrimp, potato salad, grilled pineapple and corn on the cob. Even on Father's Day Cory did the grilling. I don't know that I would have gotten it all to the table and still hot if he hadn't.
After dinner was cleaned up Brady presented Cory his gifts - a blue polo shirt, a white golf shirt and a photo book I ordered. He wore the blue shirt the rest of the day, but he wouldn't allow me to take a picture. Then it was quiet time for Brady and Brooke's nap time, so we enjoyed a game of Hand 'N Foot, our new favorite. He beat me, but I certainly didn't let him.
We headed down to the basement to talk to Cory's family on the web cam. His parents were at his sister Ashley's, so we got to talk to all of them. (We talk to his parents on the web cam every Sunday, and it's become an activity the whole family looks forward to.)
Next it was time for Daddy's Special Father's Day Dessert. We all enjoyed this rich and tasty chocolate chip pizookie with cookies 'n cream ice cream and caramel topping. I've never made one before but, thanks to Pillsbury, it was the easiest dessert ever. This is right up Cory's alley too, simple and delicious.
How were your Father's Days? Was the highlight the food at your house too?

4 comments:

JoelandMelanie said...

Although we did have some good eats, I wouldn't say it was the highlight of our day. We BBQ'd tri-tip with this dry rub to die for,I made stuffed peppers and corn on the cob. But I think Joel had more fun playing his new Wii than eating. Since we have 10 AM church I thought we would wait until afterwards to set it up... well, he and the kids were playing before I got out of the shower.

Grandpa Higg said...

That sure looks good. I can't wait till he cooks for us when we come.

Jenna said...

What a great day! And yes you 2 are perfect for each other! That food looks amazing, especially the dessert!

Diane said...

Everything looks delicious! Do you have an actual pizookie pan?