Sunday, December 13, 2009

Six Weeks Down, Life is Good

All mothers know six weeks is a milestone. I had my check-up Thursday and all is well. I think I'll hit the gym this week, which will hopefully help counteract my holiday food consumption. Part of my exam included a questionnaire about how I'm doing emotionally. Do I blame myself for things that go wrong? Does life seem as positive as it was before? Do I cry for no reason? Do I feel as motivated as I did before? Some of those possible answers made me think how horrible it must be for women who experience the baby blues. Thankfully I've never dealt with them. I'm sure sleep deprivation has a lot to do with it, and I can happily say I have not been sleep deprived. I sleep at least 7 hours, often 8, in a 24-hour period. Cory's new work schedule could not have come at a better time. It also helps that Brady understands what "Don't wake up mommy" means. Okay, so once he got stuck in the bathroom and cried until I woke up. Mind you, I wear ear plugs after Brooke's morning feeding. Overall this is a very happy time for me. I look at Brooke now as someone who is a blessing in my life, not a pain in the rear. Christmas is just around the corner. Then there is Brady's birthday and Brooke's blessing and my mom will be here for those events. Cory's job is going well and we may be in our first home next year. Life couldn't be better, and I am so grateful for all my blessings.
As well as things are going, life is not yet back to normal. Therefore, we are not sending out Christmas cards this year. You'll just have to be satisfied with this first and only family photo from a month ago.
The children's play area at the mall is on my list of favorite things this Christmas. I can sit and hold/feed Brooke while Brady runs around, climbs up, slides down, and jumps off the structures. Both kids are happy, and I get to talk to the moms sitting next to me about all the cool places there are for children around here. I'm learning a lot about the area that way.
Cory and I try to instill independence in our children at a young age. Today Brooke was sleepy so I swaddled her and laid her in her crib. Her eyelids were getting heavy and I knew dreamland wasn't far away. Normally I would hold her upright and pat her back, which gets her to sleep right away. This time I put her in her crib and left. A couple minutes later she started crying for me. I let her cry. Just eight short minutes later she was asleep. The best word to describe how I felt: TRIUMPHANT. Ten minutes later she was awake again, and now she's snoring away in the Baby Bjorn as I type. Okay, it was my first attempt, but it only gets better from here. I have to say, this baby thing is SO much easier the second time around. Yes, every baby is different, but they all have the same basic needs. Right now mine just needs to be held. Hopefully that wears off soon because admittedly I am not much of a baby holder. I feel unproductive just sitting holding a baby. It's a good thing Cory doesn't feel that way.

Look at these chubby cheeks and full lips. Brooke can definitely be considered a "Christensen girl". I think she looks a lot like my sister Leesa when she was a baby.

Brooke's getting stronger and holding her head up better. She enjoys tummy time for just a few minutes. She has been going at least six hours between feedings at night. She's got to be at least 11 pounds by now. She's healthy and strong, and she barely makes a peep when she gets hit in the head with a ball. (I can't count how many times that's happened now. That's just how her life is going to be, and it seems like she knew that coming into it.)

6 comments:

Trotts said...

She does look like the baby version of me! Unfortunately the chubby cheeks and round face aren't as cute as you get older. Don't worry though, later in life I will teach her how to angle her head in a picture so she doesn't have obvious double chins.

Rachel B. said...

Ohhh, that picture of her laying on Cory is so so sweet! Love those cheeks! You know, one of my absolute favorite things about you, Jess, is your candidness. I know when you say that "life is good" that you really do mean it and it's not just fluff to put on your blog. You're such a great example of being upbeat to me too.

brownnoserfam2 said...

WHere can I get some good headbands?

Jenna said...

She such a cutie! I'm so glad things are going well and you didn't have the baby blues. Having experienced them with both girls for about a week (around 2 weeks after birth),I have enormous sympathy for moms that suffer from postpartum depression. I'm so glad things are working out so well for you in Denver and that Cory's schedule has been so great with having a newborn!

Diane said...

I'm so impressed with how well you are doing so quickly. I still feel like I am way behind. I guess I need to try the whole putting him down when he sleeps thing. It's just easier to hold him because I know he will sleep for a long time. But you have inspired me!! :)

Aubrey said...

Beautiful!!