Here are the recipes I used for my Valentine's cookies. I don't know how many people actually look at blogs without going through Google Reader anymore, so I'm making this a post rather than my recipe of the month. You may think sugar cookies are sugar cookies, but in case you have a recipe that uses sour cream, you might want to try these and see what you think. They are very moist. I included the directions just in case your husband is satisfied with the store-bought cookie dough. The Homemade Oreos are about the simplest cookie you'll ever make.
Sugar Cookies
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 tsp. baking powder
4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until easy to handle.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out with cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 375 for 7-9 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Homemade Oreos
Chocolate or Devils Food cake mix
¼ c vegetable oil
3 Tbsp. hot water
2 eggs
Cream cheese frosting
Mix first four ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Drop cookie dough onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Note: Do not bake these cookies on a stone! Remove cookies to cooling rack. Once cooled, frost the bottoms of half the cookies with the cream cheese frosting. (I never can make it thick enough, so I just use Pillsbury or Betty Crocker.) Put the tops on and it's just that easy. I try to make small cookies since there are actually two of them. Otherwise they don't make very many. Yield: about 18-22.
5 comments:
Jess, where is this sugar cookie recipe from? The last time I made sugar cookies I used a recipe that Mom got from Sherri Atwood, and they didn't work for me. Just wondering if this is the same.
No, this is from a recipe book made by the BYU stake we were in years ago.
They sound yummy! I'll have to give them a try next time I make sugar cookies.
Try the Funfetti cake mix with the Oreos some time. It's my personal favorite.
Thanks!!!! I'll have Ashley get right on it and make me some oreo cookies!!!
Post a Comment