Thursday, January 12, 2012

Brady is 5

Brady's birthday party was Thursday night, but his actual birthday was Saturday, New Year's Eve.  We took Riley and Asher home that day.  Then we came down and met Cory at 5:30 for Brady's birthday dinner at Lone Star.  We tried Outback first, but they quoted us a 90- to 100-minute wait.  Lone Star was just 40 minutes, and totally worth it.
Don't worry, he shared
Spoiled kid!
It's crazy to think we have a 5-year-old, but then again, most of my friends my age have kids who are at least 8 or 9.  Anyway, we love this kid and all his unique qualities.  He is so much like Cory it's funny, but I do see a small part of me in him, on his good days. Ha!

I'm a list-maker, so here you go.  Brady...

feels the need to give comfort.
likes to make people happy.
is sensitive and his feelings are easily hurt.
follows the rules.
is humble.
likes to organize.
is athletic.
is a sympathetic crier.
lives to make people laugh, especially younger children.
is competitive.
likes to have a schedule.
likes to color and do crafts, but it’s the last thing he thinks of.  His fine motor skills have greatly improved in the last few months.
is shy at first, and it takes time for him to feel comfortable in a new setting/situation.
is easy going and doesn’t have to be the leader.

Here is an example from tonight about how sensitive he is:

Brady noticed I'd cleaned his bathroom counter and sink and exclaimed, “Holy crap!”  I gasped and told him we don’t say that word.  He started crying because he felt so badly.  I told him it’s okay.  He must have heard it somewhere, but we don’t say that.  I said I know why he was crying and why he felt badly, but I forgave him.  I’m trying to be better at acknowledging his feelings rather than telling him not to feel a certain way.


Brady says no more kisses now that he's 5, but I've managed to sneak quite a few since then without him noticing or complaining.  He even gave me a big hug and kiss tonight on his own volition.  He may want to be all grown up, but he's still my little boy.

4 comments:

Rachel B. said...

Ha! Maybe he got "holy crap" from me. ;) That seems to escape my lips often. Brady is a handsome and sweet little guy and you know how funny Claire thinks he is. Glad you guys had a good birthday night out!

Diane said...

That brownie sundae looks amazing!! That is so funny that he says no more kisses at age 5!

Becca said...

All the declarations in the world about no kisses won't hide what a sweetheart Brady is!

Jenna said...

He is such a sweetheart, you are very lucky that he is such a good example to his little sister!