Thursday, December 23, 2010

Major Pain

Unfortunately I am in major pain. I had a pretty violent cough for nearly 2 weeks. It finally subsided Sunday, but that night I had a developing pain in my right side where my ribs are. The pain continued and Cory suggested it may be an inflamed lung. My mom said it's possible to fracture a rib from coughing, so of couse I figured that was it. The pain got worse and worse, so bad that I finally went to see the doctor this morning. Now, you must know that I'm no sissy. It takes some serious pain for me to see a doctor. Anyway, he had me do some stretches and then had me lie down. When he barely even pushed on the area I gasped then cried. He determined that my pain was severe, a 10 out of 10 rather than the 6 I reported to the nurse. It's a 6 when nobody's pushing on it!
After a urin sample (he suspected my gall bladder), some blood work, and a chest X-ray, he determined that it's just a strained abdominal muscle. I say "just," but you really don't think about how much you use your abs until they hurt. I am now taking pain meds, wearing a rib wrap, and taking deep breaths to exercise the muscle. Hopefully it will feel better soon since we've got a big weekend. (Not only Christmas, but we're speaking in church Sunday.)
Now I've got to get going on those gingerbread cookies. Christmas is still coming no matter how much pain I'm in.

5 comments:

Trotts said...

Jess, I can completely empathize with you! That same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. That pain in my rib and side areas that my doctor suspected was my gall bladder was actually a pulled muscle from coughing so violently. I recommend putting a heating pad on it whenever you get a chance. That helped me. I hope you feel better soon!

Megan said...

Totally no fun! I pulled my left rib muscles and it was worse than delivering a 10+ lb. baby on pitocin with no drugs! My sports PT even put me on an anti-depressant it was so bad...

Sorry! Definitely take it easy!

Rachel B. said...

Wow, I'm surprised to see so many of us able to relate...I had a very similar pain while in Steamboat over the summer. It was awful! It was the day after this crazy strenuous hike we went on. It hurt to breathe or even move very much. I almost went to the doctor too thinking it was gall bladder or appendix or something! But after talking to my dad who had just gone to the doctor for a similar pain we decided that it was inflamed cartilage (sp?) in my rib. Anyway, I know you don't want my sob story, but just know that I am so sorry and I totally understand! Totally poopy for Christmas!

Diane said...

No fun!!! I hope that you are feeling better.

Jenna said...

I HATE pain in any way, shape or form....I feel for you!