Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Transformer, Elmo, and a Cuddly Little Bear

Halloween was a little more complicated this year with Colin around.  Cory had to work the night of the church Trunk-or-Treat, and there was no way I was serving my kids chili all by myself.  We ate dinner at home first, then we stopped at the school for 30 minutes so Brady could see all his friends in their costumes. We showed up at the church a little late and just talked to friends as they finished eating.  Then we headed outside for the Trunk-or-Treat.  Colin's "costume" was perfectly warm for such a cold night.
 
I wasn't sure how Brooke would do this year, so we practiced at home beforehand.  I made the kids say "trick or treat" before I pretended to drop treats into their buckets.  Then they had to look me in the eye and say "thank you" with a big smile.  We practiced about 10 times, and you wouldn't think that would be so hard, but for my shy kids it was.  Brooke did get into it after a while announcing "trick or treating" as she held up her non-coordinating Spiderman bucket.  Whatever, it got the job done.
Checking out the loot
These two couldn't wait to hit the pavement Halloween night, and I was just as excited.  Cory took them around a couple blocks while I washed dishes.  They came home for a potty break and to dump out their bags, then I took them back out.  Brooke had as much fun and lasted just as long as Brady.  (A few days before Halloween Brooke told me she didn't want trickers, just treats.)  With all his candy from school and trick-or-treating, Brady ended up with almost 6 pounds of candy.  He's so sweet to share with us, by choice mind you.  He knows Cory's favorite candy bar is Twix, so every time he came across one he gave it to him. 
Yes, we have a ton of candy in our house right now, and it's not helping with my weight loss plan.  But I'm no scrooge and I love seeing my kids enjoy their candy.  You gotta let the kids have their memories, right?
"lick for lick"

2 comments:

The Ortega Family said...

They all look so cute! We let our kids dive into their candy also. That's what makes it fun for them!

Trotts said...

Cute kids! Colin does look especially cuddly in that bear costume.