Thursday, April 19, 2012

Pulled Over

The cops must have a lot less to do here in Colorado.  Since we've been here 2 1/2 years, I've been pulled over 4 times!  I only got pulled over once in the entire 5 1/2 years we were in California. (My friend Valerie says maybe that's because I'm a California driver.  Admittedly, I am.  How do you see open road on the freeway and not step on it?)
Today I was driving slowly (I'd seen the officer parked there earlier) through a school zone (35 MPH) when he pulled his car out in front of me.  I knew I was safe from speeding then.  But he kept slowing down, clear to 31.  Hello dude, get going!  I was running late for park day. Then he pulled into the turning lane. Finally!  Then got back in right behind me and turned on his lights.  What the?!?  I had my insurance, registration and license all ready to go.  As I said, this was not my first rodeo.  When he approached I said, "What's up?  I was going SO slow."  He then said he wasn't pulling me over for speeding, but for tailgating...him.  Right.  I couldn't deny that one.  So he said he probably wouldn't ticket me, but he needed to make sure everything was current.  He came back with my license and asked how old I am.  Why is he asking me this? 32, I told him.  He said he just didn't think I looked like I was born in 1979.  Well I will take it!  No ticket plus a compliment!  Thank goodness I was wearing full make-up to the park today.
That makes 2 warnings and 2 tickets.

6 comments:

Liesel said...

I know, I have gotten quite a few the past couple of years. I now drive 5 under for the next 11 months because I only have 3 more points this year and I lose my license. It's all for speeding... Beware of right after 120th headed toward Colorado, right as it hits 45 I've gotten caught once this year and once last year.

Becca said...

I think it's a combination of wrong place wrong time and your aggressive driving. Not the Colorado cops. I've been here three and a half years, never been pulled over. Come to think of it, I don't think I've been pulled over since moving away from Salt Lake.

Trotts said...

I must say, that is one of the few things I have not been pulled over for. I'm also pretty proud of the fact that it has been almost 5 years since I have been pulled over. That is quite an accomplishment for someone with my reputation.

Eilene said...

Guess you got your lead foot from me. I am proud to say though that I haven't had a speeding ticket in so many years that I can't remember the last one. That's just speeding--not stopping at a stop sign, rear ending, going through a 4-way, well that's another thing. I think age and having my son-in-law tell me that I couldn't drive his kids unless I slowed down helped a bit too. Now I just have to curtail my impatient tale- gaiting habit.
What a fantastic day for you -- no ticket and a compliment. Doesn't get much luckier than that.

Diane said...

I didn't know you had been pulled over so much!! Too funny.

staci said...

I agree that Colorado cops are sneaky. We were there last summer and Dave got a picture ticket in the mail. I didn't even know you could ticket someone that way! :) glad you got out of it and a nice compliment to go with it. The lead foot thing must be a family trait cuz my mom has one and so do I.