Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fun on the Farm

I packed up the kids and met Becca and some friends at Miller Farms Wednesday. We rode around to different areas on a trailer. First we picked corn and beets. Brady was fascinated with the corn fields pretending he was in a jungle. Next was potatoes and Brady was good at helping throw some in my bag. We then found some huge onions and when I say huge, I mean it. I weighed the biggest one when I got home and it was nearly 2 pounds. There were five stops in all.
Here is how Brooke started out - in the umbrella stroller on the trailer. She wouldn't wear a hat so I just had to lather the sunscreen on her head.

Brooke hadn't had much of a nap and got really fussy after an hour. Becca was thoughtful enough to bring her baby carrier, and once I got off the trailer and walked around a bit Brooke was out. I had all 17 pounds of her in that thing for at least 2 1/2 hours. Needless to say, my back was shot but it beat the alternative.

This trip originally started out as a field trip for Riley's preschool group. With a group of 10 we were able to pick 6 potato-sack-sized bags of veggies each for just $10. It was a great deal, but it took Becca and me to round up 10 people who could be gone until mid-afternoon.
Brady thought it was a little odd to be with boys from church and his cousins, but he had a great time.

It was really an educational experience as well.
I showered the kids and got them down for naps when we got home. After an hour to myself just sitting and watching TV, I got up the energy to husk the corn, rinse the carrots, make salsa, and display the harvest on the counter for Cory to see when he got home from work.
Here are the spoils of our labor: 28 ears of sweet white corn, 4 beets, a few pounds of carrots and potatoes, four eggplant, a few pounds of tomatoes, 4 red chilies and enough onions to last me through the winter at least.
I hoped this experience would get Brady more excited about eating veggies. It did for that day at least.
It was an exhausting day, but you can't beat the experience. I'd like this to be an annual event for me and my kids who aren't in school.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

So fun, what a great deal! I love that you made salsa that day and please tell me what you're doing to do with beets. I wouldn't have a clue. And do I see eggplant parmesan in your future?

The Higginbothams said...

Maybe eggplant parmesan. I'm definitely basing this week's menu on my veggies. Tonight is beef stew. I think I'll just steam the beats and serve them with butter.

Grandpa Higg said...

I'm glad my grandkids will know where their food comes from.

Eilene said...

What a productive and educational day that must have been. I was going to say fun but decided that word most likely would not have described the event.

So was Cory as excited to see them all arranged so beautifully on your counter as I was impressed?