Wednesday, June 7, 2017

March 2017

March, 2017 was one of the best months I've had in a long time.  We welcomed March on the sandy beaches of Cancun, Mexico as Cory and I relaxed without the kids for four nights in an adult-only all-inclusive (a.k.a. the BEST kind) luxury resort.  It was the first exotic vacation we have taken without the kids when I wasn't pregnant, so it was an exciting milestone for us.
Hyatt Zilara
 
 The hotel was something I thought only existed in my dreams!
 
 We couldn't wait too long before we enjoyed some drinks.
 And more drinks, with quite a sophisticated spread for dinner.
 Followed by a relaxing bath for two...
 and dessert.
The fitness center was well equipped, and they even offered a Zumba class.  Cory appreciated running on the treadmill at sea level with a much improved time.  Afterward I could see him hanging out by the pool while I ran on the treadmill.  It was perfect for us.
 We enjoyed a nice lunch poolside.
 
 
 Then we pretty much just relaxed in a cabana all afternoon. 
The picture of relaxation
 For dinner we chose an Italian buffet complete with coconut gelato.
 We got up early the next day for an adventure at XPLOR.  It was an hour bus ride to the adventure park where we got to drive ATV's through caves, try two different zip line courses (twice each!), go rafting and swimming through the caves and experience zip lining in a hammock.  All complete with lockers and a buffet lunch.  I would recommend XPLOR to anyone traveling to Cancun.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Our last day there was more relaxing on the beach and hanging out by the pool.  We finally got to try the Teppan-style cuisine our last night at the resort and it did not disappoint.  We don't usually eat sushi, but when in Cancun... 
 
***
On March 17 we got to hit the slopes.  I'm embarrassed to admit that December, 2004 was the last time I'd been skiing, despite the fact that I grew up with it being one of my favorite hobbies.  I blame California, pregnancies and babies.  But with all three out of the picture, I am now a free woman and can hit the slopes whenever I please, within reason of course.  I had so many memories of my childhood ski lessons and jabbered away at Cory as we sat on the lift.  I felt that long-lost freedom of flying down the hill, albeit a bit recklessly, as my skis slid through the snow.  The weather was a perfect 55 degrees and Cory and I claimed it as a new hobby of ours, something we are in search of these days.  I will feel very fortunate if I am able to even go skiing with Cory once a year for the rest of our lives.
Our dad often sent my sisters and I with Baby Ruth candy bars when we would go skiing.  It's not skiing without a Baby Ruth.
 
 
 
***
I got to chaperone Brooke and a couple of her friends on a field trip to the Denver Aquarium.  That was a milestone for us as I've always had littles at home.  This time a friend watched them for me.


 These three had so much fun with our little photo shoot after lunch.  The other two gave me their moms' numbers and begged me to text the pictures to them!  It was the perfect group with three of the best behaved kids.
 
 
 
***
We closed out the month with a family vacation at a townhouse in Steamboat Springs.  An endodontist Cory refers to graciously offered his townhouse to us for a week at no charge!  We chose to go over spring break, and it was perfect.  We spent a lot more time swimming (in the neighborhood pool and the hot springs) than sledding like we anticipated, but we went on a beautiful nature hike and also played lots of fun games.
Gorgeous mountain town
We don't have a hearth at home, so Jocelyn was fascinated by it.and claimed it as her stage right away.
 park day
 This is what happens when she's told she's not swimming again today.
 It was a short but beautiful little nature hike.
 
 Lots of pool and hot tub time.
 It was difficult to not take more photos of these chubby legs in this swimming suit.
 Treat time.  Open wide!
Chips for the win!
I'm sure I took more pictures of my other kids. ??? I'll have to update this once I've uploaded pics from Cory's phone. 

No comments: