Since Cory had to work a 12-hour shift Monday, my actual birthday, I decided to make my birthday cake Sunday. Since Brooke didn't get a birthday cake this year, I told her she could pick the decorations and I would choose the flavor: lemon poppy seed with with lemon butter cream frosting. The frosting was pretty heavy for this light, four-layer cake. Snow White took a little tumble there, but it tasted good, which is obviously all I cared about.
On Monday I created the best day possible for myself considering I was on my own with my three kids. I delayed my laundry day to Tuesday and I worked out all morning. I did a high-impact Insanity workout, and after I got Colin down for a nap, I got on the elliptical for 30 minutes while I watched The Good Wife.
My plan was to burn off the calories before I consumed them.
I posted a message on our street Facebook page inviting the neighbors to come over between 4 and 5pm to spoil their appetites with some leftover birthday cake. That got rid of half the cake, which was perfect.
One of my best friends in the whole world took me out to our usual spot for dinner at Lone Star Tuesday night. We talked for hours, and I realized later that the restaurant was probably closed before we got out of there.
Wednesday was the only day last week that I had no birthday-related plans. Colin slept a lot and I spent the day with my girl.
I had a massage and chiropractic adjustment Thursday morning. A gift from Cory even though he'd already bought me a camera in September. I wasn't about to complain.
We got our date night on Friday beginning with the movie Gravity with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. The movie was really good! In most movies I feel anxious during the action scenes, but otherwise I just relax. Well this movie had me on edge most of the time. There is just no relaxing in space. Afterward we walked around the outdoor mall and saw kids ice skating. For dinner we went to Rock Bottom Brewery for the first time. By the time we got our table we were starving! We ordered steak street tacos for an appetizer, and I got a Reuben sandwich with onion rings and Russian dressing for dipping. For my birthday dessert we ordered warm donut holes with caramel dipping sauce. I guarantee you I ate more than 2000 calories that meal, and it was SO good!
Saturday was a great day in general. Cory had the day off and we went down to Highlands Ranch. We swapped babysitting with my sister and went to the temple. On our way home we stopped at Cafe Rio for a late lunch. We also picked up Krispy Kreme doughnuts because Cory found a deal online, a dozen glazed for $3.99. When we got home Cory challenged the kids to a doughnut-eating contest.
Brady beat Brooke, but I'm sure Cory was on his second when I got this shot. Colin joined in the fun too.
This has Cory written all over it. If I'm going to eat a doughnut it's going to be a Bismark with chocolate frosting, or at least a chocolate cake doughnut. Glazed? Blah. Oh, and if I ate a doughnut, it would be slowly so I could relish every bite. But I didn't eat any doughnuts because I had another birthday dinner. This was Cory's way of not having to make dinner while I was gone. Doughnuts and popcorn for dinner. Who's going to argue with that? We enjoyed the condensed version of the BYU football game, then I headed out.
These lovely ladies treated me to dinner at Heaven Dragon, a well-known, locally owned Chinese restaurant. The service was laughable. I literally laughed at their lack of social skills a number of times. The food was great though, and we did family style so we got a good variety.
Then we hit DQ where we finished our night eating Blizzards. I came home and watched the BYU basketball game with Cory to end the night. When Olivia opened my car door (child lock) I told her I felt like Cinderella after the ball. It's back to normal life again, but what a wonderful week it was! I'm grateful for all the birthday wishes from friends and family. I"m so blessed to have a great family and friends who know how to spoil me!


1 comment:
Yeah for birthday week! And I'm SO very happy that I got to be a part of it. Thanks for both being my bud, Jess, and for always letting me talk about anything and everything. And thanks for being born. :)
Post a Comment