Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Utah for New Years, Part 2

Yes, there is a part 2 of this trip. I didn't have this picture for my last post, but my mom took this of the grandkids before they opened their presents.
Cory took this of the moms and grandma trying to get their kids to behave appropriately for their brief photo shoot.
The next day was New Years Eve and Brady's 4th birthday.
My mom and I picked up Brady at Terra's house mid-morning. Cole, who is almost 6, had made Brady a special birthday Pop Tart breakfast (which was Brady's choice). He even toasted it and put it on a napkin for him. Terra's got her boy well trained.
We ran a couple errands, including Winco, my favorite grocery store ever. Please bring one to my neighborhood! Anyway, we went so I could stock up on some spices and gluten flour, and to pick up items for Brady's birthday cake. We ate lunch and put the kids down for naps. Then, for more than an hour, Becca and I spent our time decorating Brady's birthday cake, which turned into the Candy Land game board. It was fun, but I never would have finished it in time without her help.
I cautiously held the cake the entire 15-minute car ride to Pirate Island. I then carried it across the slippery snowy parking lot and let out a big sigh of relief when I got to set it down. As excited Brady was to be at his birthday party, he was sure disappointed that there were "scary" pirates there. (We learned the hard way that he only likes the sword part of being a pirate.) Clearly we have got quite a sensitive boy. He cheered up seeing his friends and cousins arrive, and he was so cute excitedly explaining his cake to them.
I won't say whose lovely voice you're hearing in this video, but I'm just thankful she took the camera from me so it wouldn't have to be mine. Let's just say our family was not blessed vocally.
We gave him a few small gifts, but the grand daddy was his Mickey Mouse birthday card that told him about our trip to Disneyland in March, which will be his first visit.
He ended his birthday with another sleepover with Cole, this time on Grandma's bedroom floor where they kept scaring each other and asking for us to lay with them. Cole and Brady are a LOT alike in that regard.
The rest of us stayed up until midnight, but we didn't take long to get to bed after that. Happy 2011!

4 comments:

Jenna said...

Oh what a great birthday!! I love the cake, love the birthday song, and how fun that you're going to Disneyland! We're thinking of going sometime this summer...

Diane said...

It looks like he had a great birthday! The cake is awesome!! Great job. How did you make his cute birthday invitation? Did you get the picture I emailed you?

mptanner said...

What a fun birthday cake!! Good job (I have been wanting to do one myself but haven't yet) and a Disneyland trip to come, you don't get much better gifts than that!

Rachel B. said...

Yeah for Disneyland! He will love it! And fabulous job on his party. That cake is quite impressive. I think his party may have been slightly more fun than Tom's. ;)