Saturday, January 22, 2011

I'm a Poet and I Know It

I used to love writing poetry when I was young. Poetry was anything that rhymed, right? Well, you're in for a treat. I've been looking through old computer files and found this lovely piece of work that I wrote a little over 5 years ago...

We met at BYU
It sounds cheesy but it's true
We were 18
Our eyes were green
We didn't have a clue.

Heritage Halls Invitational - March 6, 1999

I broke my right ankle
And Cory was very nice
He carried around my pillows
Without thinking twice.

Cory went to El Salvador
Two years to serve the Lord
I continued on with school
And I was pretty bored.

Cory got home summer of '01
And held 4 girls' hands
I had dated just 1 guy
We were not in each others' plans.

I found the boys an apartment
They lived right next to me
Just 2 weeks in Cory held my hand
And soon he was on one knee.

The night Cory proposed - April 9, 2002

We were sealed in Mt. Timpanogos Temple
For eternity
We both worked hard that next semester
Then I got my degree.

Cory was still in school
And worked in a dental lab
I got a job at BYU
With plenty of time to gab.

Cory applied to dental schools
And we had no money
He had a lot of interviews
And then got his degree.

Cory got in to USC
Their football team is great
I got a good job in LA
It seemed like it was fate.

Cory has made the Dean's list twice
He's working hard no doubt
I really like my job
And we're happy it all worked out.

So it hasn't been 2 years
And we've got a lot of debt
We're trying to have a baby
But it hasn't happened yet.

It was pretty fun to find this masterpiece since life has changed so much for us in the last 5 years. I encourage you all to write your own poems, then rediscover them in 5 years. You can thank me then.

6 comments:

Rachel B. said...

"You can thank me then"...Oh, Jess, you are my favorite. The picture of you at the Heritage Halls invitational with your crutches behind you makes me laugh.
This was awesome to read. You're a natural.

Jenna said...

I have REALLY missed your literary work...in fact I was just telling someone about the essay you wrote about "The Rainbow Connection" Someday I'm going to be able so say "I knew her when....she ate her lunch in the bathroom or her locker." :) I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Diane said...

I think I might have read this before, but it was hilarious! I love all the pictures too.

Amanda said...

You're cute Jessica! We miss seeing you on Sundays...

Matt & April Herman said...

hahaha...loved it! I used to write a lot of poetry in my day too, but i will not be posting it:)

Anonymous said...

We loved this. The photos were awesome and the poem...wow add this to your list of talents!!