Monday, January 12, 2009

Great Deal!

Since we moved here I have been wanting a silk tree. I periodically checked Craigslist but never found anything I liked. I had my eye on a 6-foot Areca Palm at Michael's, but it cost $100 and I figured I would eventually use a 40% off coupon if I didn't find anything else. I didn't want to pay $60 though. Then last week they had all their greenery on sale for 50% off so I made it there on Tuesday. I searched the store in a panic because there were none left in the section I'd previously seen them. Then I was shown another section that had a few more trees and there it was, just one left...broken.
You can imagine my disappointment, but then my will to strike a bargain set in and I was determined. Not only was the tree broken, but so was part of the plastic pot, which meant it wouldn't stand up straight. I put the tree in my cart and found the manager. I explained I still wanted it and wondered if it was repairable. He said it is, but he would give me a discount. We walked over to the designers' counter and he asked them to fix the tree and replace the pot. While one fixed it the other took me over to pick out a pot. Apparently she has the same tree and had the perfect pot in mind for it (a square bronze-looking thing, which would be my first pick). Unfortunately they were out and won't get another shipment for a couple weeks. The woman who fixed the tree suggested a basket, but if I'm getting a free pot, I didn't want to settle for a basket. I took a gamble and said I would come back for the pot when it's in stock. They sent me to the register with my tree in a box and a bag a moss to help fill the bigger pot once I get it.

The whole time I wondered what kind of discount I would get. For all intents and purposes, the tree was repaired and I was getting the pot replaced with something much nicer, and free moss to boot. I told the cashier that the manager had said I get a discount on the tree, but he didn't say how much. Rather than calling him over, she said, how does 40% sound? Seriously??? Yes, I got my $100 6-foot Areca Palm for $30, plus a free pot (hopefully)!

I brought it inside and took a knife to the other half of the pot. In the picture you can see the left side at the bottom where I had to cut it. Now it stands up straight, and looks just like it was intended to look. Isn't it beautiful? It ads so much to the room. I can't wait to see it in the new pot. I just hope they remember me when I go back in next week. Maybe I'll wear the same sweater. Don't worry, I took names.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Amazing! I bought a real tree at Target for $15 dollars, but I am struggling to keep it alive. I have been wanting a nice tree too, but they are definitely hard to find for a good price. Way to go! You may have found the deal of the year!

Ashley

Rachel B. said...

Great job Jess! Doesn't it make you love the tree even more? Like now, it somehow even looks better? Seriously way awesome deal! I'm the same with sometimes liking when things are broken because then you have some haggle room. :)

Kristi David said...

I love how you bargain! I still remember the baby food!

Tiffany said...

It is a beautiful tree, I agree! Way to strike a deal!! Go Jess! It's amazing what a plant can do to a room.

CdA News Editor said...

I can totally tell that is a broken tree.

Jenna said...

There's nothing better than a good deal, especially on something you really have been wanting!! Great job.

Diane said...

Way to go! I guess I will have to make a trip up there just to see your new tree!