...or whatever you want to call this girl, we're just happy to have her. It didn't take too much convincing for the doctor to let me go in two days after my due date, Sunday night at 8pm. Apparently that first weekend in June was a busy one at the hospital. I was very frustrated that the nurses couldn't even get me started on the IV antibiotics until midnight. We later learned that a few women with inductions were sent home and told to return in 24, 12 or 8 hours. As it turned out, I was lucky to get a room! We met the doctor around 12:30 who checked me and said I was dilated to a 3, so they would start me on a low dose of Pitocin. Every 30 minutes the nurse bumped up the dosage a little. They are always cautious with me because of my previous c-section with Brady. Just before 2:00 my water broke. I'll save you the details, but let's just say, the nurse was surprised (I say impressed) with all the water coming out. I got an epidural a couple hours later, around 3:45. I told him what happened with Colin, basically the epidural was ineffective, so this anesthesiologist made sure to cover both sides, and props to him for getting it right. By 5am I was at a 4 and they inserted a Foley catheter. After that I was able to sleep for a couple hours. Around 7:00 I was feeling a lot more pressure down there, but it wasn't urgent yet. That was the nurses' shift change, so once the new nurse was introduced to me around 7:20 I told her it was time to push. By 7:30 the doctor was in ready position and just two quick and easy pushes later, Jocelyn was on top of me with a ton of hair! At first I just thought it was goop, but then they wiped her down and it really was a head full of dark brown hair. She has a great calloc too! Hopefully this means she'll have a thick head of hair. Anyway, she's beautiful and healthy.

So she was born at 7:32am on Monday, June 8 weighing 8 lbs. 7 oz. and 21 inches long.
I stayed at the hospital as long as I could. Their menu is unbeatable, and how could I pass up a free massage? 48 hours after her birth I was ready to take her home.
She left the hospital weighing 7 lbs. 13 oz., and by the next day, when the nurse came to visit us at home, she was already back to 8 lbs. 4 oz.
By 2 weeks she weighed 8 lbs. 13 oz. (72%) and measured 21 1/2 inches (95%).
 |
| First time in the swing, June 22 |
 |
| All decked out in her barefoot sandals. |
 |
| First real bath, June 25 |
 |
| Asleep on Daddy |
With the exception of two nights, Jocelyn has only ever awakened once in the night, usually at 3:30 or 4:00. I didn't change her diaper unless I could tell she'd pooped. She would eat on one side and go right back to sleep for another 3 hours. All things considered, the first two weeks with this baby were pretty easy. She has been an angel ever since. More photos and details to come in a later post.
No comments:
Post a Comment