Monday, December 10, 2012

3 Kids is Hard!

Everyone said three is hard and I agree wholeheartedly!  Colin demands so much of my time that Cory is left to take care of and entertain Brady and Brooke.  I think this transition has been even harder on him than on me.  We have both been feeling guilty about the lack of attention the older two are getting.
Brady has always had a way of demanding our attention, but it's usually negative attention that he's getting.  He's pestering me about something while Colin's crying; he wants Cory to play football with him while he's holding Colin; he wants me to print something for him while I'm trying to hurry and get dinner on the table before Colin wakes up.  The only one-on-one time Brady's had with me is piano practice time, and that's almost never pleasant.
Then there's Brooke who demands very little attention.  She just goes off and does her own thing, which is nice, but we also feel just as guilty about her.  The one-on-one time I have with her in the shower and while I'm doing her hair is very precious to me.  Cory doesn't have anything like that with her.
There are a lot of systems I'd like to put in place right now.  Brady needs some sort of reading incentive program.  We need to establish a chore chart that works for our kids.  We need to figure out what's giving Brooke diarrhea so we can get her potty trained for good.  Finally, we need to set up a schedule where Cory has an outing with each of the kids, and of course, get more consistent with our date nights.  The outings with Cory will be the incentive to go with the chore chart, and that's our first priority.  I have a lot of plans, but at this point I know I wouldn't be able to follow through.  I can't even remember to get Brady to practice the piano every day, and that's a great example of something Cory has had to step in and help out with.
Brady reading a Magic Tree House book to Colin
Colin sleeps a 6- to 7-hour stretch 2 out of 3 nights, so I'm still having to sleep in until about 9:00 or 9:30 just to get my 8 hours.  Then I feed him again, eat a quick breakfast and go down to work out once Colin is asleep.  Then I've got to get lunch for the kids so Brady gets out the door for school in time.  Sometimes I don't even get in the shower until Brooke's down for a nap.  My mornings are shot and I spend the rest of the day cleaning up messes, making dinner and attempting to do something on my ever-expanding "to do" list.  Colin is probably the hardest baby we've had and I CAN'T WAIT for our fussy little bugger to be more independent.  It's a good thing he's cute, of which Brooke reminds me multiple times a day.

6 comments:

Rachel B. said...

Trust me dear, you are right in the thick of it! I felt like I was drowning right when Everett was about that age. It totally gets better. Or you learn to adjust better...I'm not quite sure. You are accomplishing WAY more than I was at that point though--like working out and getting 8 hours of sleep! That's pretty dang good. Love that picture of Brady reading to Colin, by the way!

Reary Family said...

Wow, we are in the same boat, and it is sinking, right? My fussy #4 and your fussy #3 are going to make for a fun Christmas vacation. I hear you about neglecting the older children, but it will get better.

Wrights said...

Roman was/is by far our hardest. The bright side is that he made is very easy to feel done having kids :)
I've tried every chore chart there is but the 'spring jar' has by far worked the best - they have to earn a certain number of springs (folded up piece of construction paper) to earn a night out with either mom or dad. They gain or lose springs depending on if they do their jobs. I will also give or take away springs during the day if I notice them doing something good or bad. Just an idea :)

the cox family said...

He is such a cute little guy! But I agree, three kids is pretty demanding. Some days I feel like I'm barely keeping my head above water. Hang in there!

Liesel said...

I'm sorry things are so rough. Three kids is hard. You are doing really well. I wasn't working out, getting 8 hours of sleep, helping anyone with anything like piano or even contemplating chore charts at that stage...so I think you are doing awesome!

Think of it this way, at least your hardest was last, once the others are older and more independent. My hardest was first and so it felt near impossible to take care of the subsequent babies because I had to take care of her still.

Diane said...

That sounds rough! I am so sorry!! I am sure that you are doing a much more amazing job than you are giving yourself credit for. You are inspiring to me!!