We had a free hotel stay at a Marriott that was going to expire, so we decided to take an overnight trip to Boulder, which is just about 40 minutes from here. We walked along Pearl Street looking for a place to eat dinner. Then we discovered Haagen-Dazs was giving out free ice cream cones. What luck to be walking right past the store on their free ice cream day (May 8, for future reference).
That delayed dinner a bit, but we still managed to fit it in. Then we checked into the Residence Inn (chosen for their larger rooms and complimentary breakfast buffet). The kids and Cory enjoyed some microwave popcorn (we sound like such pigs!) once we got settled in. We watched one of the NBA playoff games until bed time.
The kids were to share the pull-out bed, but for a few reasons, this did not work out. Brady was getting sleepy, but Brooke couldn't get enough of him. She was crawling all over him, then standing up and showing him her belly button. She takes a while to wind down for bed, and it was pretty funny until I got sleepy. Then it was just annoying, so I made a little bed for her on the floor. (I'm not looking forward to them sharing a room next month, but that's why I've scheduled a two-month transition before Colin is born.)
We enjoyed our buffet breakfast, and then we headed to Broomfield to check out the indoor pool that my friends have raved about. Afterward we stopped for lunch before dropping Brady off at preschool. This is not something we would normally have done, but it was fun to do something different. Brady couldn't believe how close we were to home as we got closer to places he recognized. We really felt like we were on vacation.

5 comments:
Sounds like fun. Good luck with the room transition.
What a fun idea! I would love to do something like that. Boulder is actually quite a fun little town. Speaking of fun, the room transition is a blast. I wish I had tips for you, but I don't. I'm betting it will go better than you think though. :)
Staycations can be so fun, that's great. And I don't have any room tips either since the girls have shared since Natalie was an infant. I think the novelty will wear off soon and it won't be a big deal. One idea my sister-in-law did was to give them slightly different bedtimes-the easier one went to bed first then they would put the other one to bed. She did this for naptime in her daycare.
I thought my kids sharing a room would be a disaster and it's actually not been bad. Especially if you can get one to sleep before the other and the other doesn't wake them up. Fun staycation.
What a fun staycation!! Sometimes the best vacations are close to home. Then I don't feel pressure because I can always go home if needed!!
Post a Comment